Windows 7 System Noise

Deckky

Honorable Member
A couple years ago I bought a Samsung laptop with Win7 64bit solely to store my CD collection as MP3 tracks on iTunes, connected to a surround amp. All worked very well but recently I haven't been able to listen to any music due to the constant background noise of pops and crackles that has developed on the laptop / motherboard. It sounds like something to do with the processor as it generates more noise as I use the mouse or anything that requires processing. The noise disappears when I unplug the laptop from the amp so it's not coming from the amp. Has anyone experienced this before and managed to fix it? It could be one of those problems that could be due to any number of different causes so any help will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using WindowsForum

The noise disappears when I unplug the laptop from the amp so it's not coming from the amp

On the contrary, if the amp is plugged in and the noise is present, then you unplug the amp and the noise is gone....tells me it's to do with the amp and producing some form if feedback.

Now if the laptop is still making the noise while it's unplugged from the amp, then it's your laptop. That's now how you say it.....so I'm confused.

Sorry, what I meant was that I have the output from the laptop (headphones socket) connected to an input on the amp so if I disconnect the input to the amp and the noise goes off the amp's speakers the noise must be coming from the laptop. The laptop is a Samsung RV510 and was described as having superior HD sound capability. I actually have the same problem on my PC but it isn't so much of a problem as I don't use it for music but it's still annoying.

Have you considered that it might be the cable / jacks..... and if the PC does the same thing as the laptop, then I'm still confused as to why you are blaming the laptop?

EDIT: and how does the audio files sound over a normal set of headphones or the laptop speakers?

The noise is definitely coming from the laptop because it varies with processor activity. Like when I open a folder in Windows Explorer, it goes kkkkkh while it's opening and then goes back to the background pops and crackles when it's opened. It makes a lot of weird squeaks and whistles while Windows closes down and when it's finally closed all is silent. I only mentioned the PC because it has a similar problem to the laptop, like when I listen to or record anything on the sound editor you can hear ch-ch-ch-ch as the cursor sweeps across the graphical display window and obviously the noise is included on the recordings.

Last edited:
Back