Windows 7 System Recovery

nbkp

OK. So this will be a very long story so get ready. I had Win7 dual-booted with Vista Ultimate. Please note that them two operating systems did come with the computer. I had to delete my Vista partition because it had a virus. So now I am left with Win7. But now this has a virus. When my comp booted up, Avast did a system scan. Guess whart? Detected basically every windows file as a virus and deleted over 600 files!? So now my Win7 is messed up which brings me to my main question.

Will a system restore, which changes the computer to when you first bought it, delete Win7 as it wasn't bought with Win7? Because if it deletes Win7 I won't have an operating system, as I got rid f the OS my comp came with; Vista Basic

A restore point (as created in windows) will NOT help you. What WILL help you, is a "return to default configuration cd-rom". That will bring your computer back to the state where you bought it - with Windows Vista.

Regarding your virus problem, it seems that the virus have spread itself and infected multiple files in your system. I can recommend NOD32 as an antivirus solution (ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection)

Regards

A restore point (as created in windows) will NOT help you. What WILL help you, is a . That will bring your computer back to the state where you bought it - with Windows Vista.

Regarding your virus problem, it seems that the virus have spread itself and infected multiple files in your system. I can recommend NOD32 as an antivirus solution (ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection)

Regards

How can I create a "return to default configuration cd-rom"

Hi nbkp,

If you had a manufacturer pre - installed o/s , the manufacturer (oem) has to provide a means of recovering the o/s.

This may be a recovery partition , or dvd. If you no longer have those, you have a few choices:

1, Contact the oem and ask for recovery media ( I believe they don't charge - except maybe for shipping)

2. Use your 7 dvd to do a clean reinstall and use that - it should run till march 2010 if you have the RC or more recent build.

3. Get hold of Vista dvd - borrow one ( or d/l from usual places ) - you must use your own valid product key. It will be somewhere on the machine on a sticker.

Try to get a Vista dvd with at least SP1 included - if SP2 is included - that is better still.

( Make sure to visit the oem site and d/l and copy to cd the drivers for your specific machine - you might find you need one or two - tho. most if not all will be included on Vista dvd - specially if you get the SP2 intergrated dvd)

You might need to ring the oem to activate your install. Very annoying since the product key (i.e. licence ) is what you paid for.

If you have a bad virus infection - best is to delete all the partitions and install clean.

If you need some of the data on there - you can copy it off, using a bootable app. that has a File Transfer Wizard ( you might transfer the infection that way, so it is a risk).

There is a free Rescue cd for d/l from the lovely people at Paragon:

FREE Rescue Kit 9.0 Express - Don't wait for disaster, get instant data recovery software!

Last edited:
Hi nbkp,

I just reread your post .

If you are talking about system restore as supplied by the manufacturer , that will indeed revert the computer to factory condition.

If you had Vista Basic when you bought it - you will have it back after the manufacturer system recovery/restore option.

That will only work if you still have the "recovery" partition undamaged.

It is worth trying - as long as you have a 7 dvd just in case it doesn't work.

It will delete your existing data on the HD - so back up anything you need first.

( I think you meant Vista Ultimate did not come with the computer - if you subsequently installed Vista Ultimate, surely you have install media and product key for that? )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom