Windows 7 System Restore

alfred01

Fantastic Member
Hello. I am trying to run a System Restore but have a problem I think with the ZoneAlarm firewall I am using. I also use Avast anti-virus, the free one, and Malwarebytes. I can disable the Avast, and I right click the ZoneAlarm symbol and select shutdown ZoneAlarm, then go ahead with my System Restore, but when my computer restarts, I get the usual error and find that ZoneAlarm is on again.

Is anyone familiar with the ZoneAlarm firewall and could tell me how to disable it to do a System Restore? Or is the problem something else?

Thanks, David

Hello David,

There have been know issues with Zone Alarm conflicting with System Restore.
You could uninstall it, reboot, then do a system restore, see if that works or just shut it down, then go to msconfig under "Startup" tab uncheck Zone Alarm to keep it from starting when Windows starts, reboot, then try system restore.

Hope this helps,

Don

Hello David,

There have been know issues with Zone Alarm conflicting with System Restore.
You could uninstall it, reboot, then do a system restore, see if that works or just shut it down, then go to msconfig under "Startup" tab uncheck Zone Alarm to keep it from starting when Windows starts, reboot, then try system restore.

Hope this helps,

Don

Thank You Don, that does help. Could you tell me if you don't mind, what firewall do you use? The Windows one or another?

Thanks, David

I did use Zone Alarm, til it started causing issues with XP and Vista, never installed it for Windows 7 and removed it from the other 2 a few years ago.
Since then I've been using Windows Firewall and this tool, Windows7FirewallControl : Sphinx Software (free version), it serves it's purpose and good enough for me.

Well I'm back and that's never a good sign. What I did was delete ZA and Avast, reinstalled Norton Internet Security because I know how to control that. Did a system restore and got a BSOD. Used the power switch to turn the computer off and waited a few minutes and booted (the friggin computer, no), now it went to desktop and said system restored to the date I had selected. The only thing I can think of as the problem is that I downloaded DOSBOX and a DOS game a few days ago. Could that be the problem? I also only have a 1.6 GHz single core processor (I know, it sucks). The only thing I can think of if I have to do a sys restr is delete ZA and the DOS game, disable Avast (I scrapped the NIS) and see if the sys restr works then without the BSOD. Or, I can take out the old trusty ballpein hammer and smash the crap outa it, it would make me feel better until I wanted to use a computer again which I do everyday. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, David

Hi David, I use ZoneAlarm version:9.2.106.000 TrueVector version:9.2.106.000 Driver version:9.2.031.000 and have never had any problem with system restore, try a restart of system restore (turn off SR on all drives, reboot then turn on SR).

Or, I can take out the old trusty ballpein hammer and smash the crap outa it, it would make me feel better until I wanted to use a computer again which I do everyday. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don't do that, you may end up using what I'm using;
2iizw50.jpg
:rofl::rofl:

Seriously, have you checked in your "Event Viewer"

Personally, I would disconnect from the internet, uninstall ZA, Avast and Norton completely, temporarily uninstall the DOSBOX and the game, then use the Windows Disk Cleanup tool, then run CCleaner, then do a disk defrag. Install MSE, reconnect to the internet, maybe run a few malware scans and try SFC /scannow

Let us know how you make out or if any of that sounds ok and helps.

Don

Thank You Ciara and Don, I think I'll go with the ballpein hammer choice lol. I checked the event viewer and had absolutely no idea what I was looking at, and are you suggesting I use MSE instead of Avast and ZA? Please remember I am a computer dummy. I don't have CCleaner and don't know what the Windows Disk Cleanup tool is. And Ciara, Thank You for your info but you lost me after the version of ZA you have, I have the same version but after that....?

Thank You both again for your advice, but all this is beyond my comprehension, just can't get the brain to work...Ciara knows what I mean. I think I'll go back to NIS, don't really want to but at least I know how to work that.

Thanks, David

....and don't know what the Windows Disk Cleanup tool is....
Disk Cleanup Utility= Press Start, (My) Computer, Right click C: Drive (your Main or System Drive, or in fact any other drives/partitions you want to clean up), Properties, Click on the Disk Clean Up button.

Last edited:
Disk Cleanup Utility= Press Start, (My) Computer, Right click C: Drive (your Main or System Drive, or in fact any other drives/partitions you want to clean up), Properties, Click on the Disk Clean Up button.

Thank You Elmer! :)

David there has been problems recently with Avast and some Windows 7 functions (I recently moved to MSE - see my screenshot) I would insted of going back to NIS uninstall Avast (keep ZA) and download / install MSE >

MWSnap00611.png

Microsoft Security Essentials > Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Security Essentials

And if you need it at any time (how to turn off and on system restore on your system)

Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.
In the left pane, click System Protection. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
To turn on System Protection for a hard disk, select the check box next to the disk, and then click OK.
– or –
To turn off System Protection for a hard disk, clear the check box next to the disk, and then click OK

Hope this may help hon :)

And just for the record System Restore today on my system with ZA running >

MWSnap00527.png

Last edited:
David there has been problems recently with Avast and some Windows 7 functions (I recently moved to MSE - see my screenshot) I would insted of going back to NIS uninstall Avast (keep ZA) and download / install MSE >

MWSnap00611.png

Microsoft Security Essentials > Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Security Essentials

And if you need it at any time (how to turn off and on system restore on your system)

Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.
In the left pane, click System Protection. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
To turn on System Protection for a hard disk, select the check box next to the disk, and then click OK.
– or –
To turn off System Protection for a hard disk, clear the check box next to the disk, and then click OK

Hope this may help hon :)

Yes it does Ciara. Thank You again. :) Ya but you've got all that extra stuff that I don't know what you mean, as well as ZA. Naw, I'm gonna smash the crap outta this thing. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom