Windows 8 System Upgrade

babi

Honorable Member
Hi,
My brother would like to upgrade his pc.His current config is core i3 3.3 GHZ with 2gb ram and win 7.Would win 8 x64, 4 gigs of RAM with a GT 640 ddr5 graphics and Corsair 450 watts SMPS be a decent upgrade for adobe PS ,movie viewing and occasional gaming(Max Payne..);Please suggest.

Last edited:
More RAM and a more powerful PSU for the new GPU is a good idea. I would, however, go for 550 or 650 Watts. There is nothing to be gained with Widows 8.1. One feature I would definitely add is a 120GB SSD for the OS. I would take the Mushkin - I own a couple myself. They are really good..

Hi,
My brother would like to upgrade his pc.His current config is core i3 3.3 GHZ with 2gb ram and win 7.Would win 8 x64, 4 gigs of RAM with a GT 640 ddr5 graphics and Corsair 450 watts SMPS be a decent upgrade for adobe PS ,movie viewing and occasional gaming(Max Payne..);Please suggest.

1st of all migrating to Windows 8.1.1 is a brilliant idea; don't hesitate on that part. He'll appreciate it in regard to graphics & gaming, not mention many other aspects. 4GB RAM for x64 is correct & x64 is the correct platform to use. The 640 is probably ok but, a stronger PS would not hurt. That i3 @ that speed is, certainly, alright but, also, an i5 would be even better. i3 is dual core, i5 is quad and might well handle some of what he wants to do even better. Probably, not necessary to go as far as an (expensive) i7 that is quad but, has Hyper-treading & acts like an 8 core.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

1st of all migrating to Windows 8.1.1 is a brilliant idea; don't hesitate on that part. He'll appreciate it in regard to graphics & gaming, not mention many other aspects. 4GB RAM for x64 is correct & x64 is the correct platform to use. The 640 is probably ok but, a stronger PS would not hurt. That i3 @ that speed is, certainly, alright but, also, an i5 would be even better. i3 is dual core, i5 is quad and might well handle some of what he wants to do even better. Probably, not necessary to go as far as an (expensive) i7 that is quad but, has Hyper-treading & acts like an 8 core.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 27890
Thanks a lot for all these valuable advices.

Transferring your OS from a properly working and configured Windows 7 is unnecessary. Changing/adding hardware doesn't require it and the extra expense and learning curve are generally unwelcome. The hardware changes proposed have no requirements only available to Windows 8 or 8.1 and as such render its 'need' as superfluous. A new power supply is, if warranted, a 'Good Idea' as it resets the bar on usage and wear and tear. The video drivers used in both W7 and 8 are the exact same ones so there is no difference. Gaming performance with the same hardware is the same under both W7 and 8 so no need to bother there. Both W7 and 8 x64 offer the same relative benefits with 4GB RAM, nothing different here either for Photoshop, or any other big RAM hog software. My recommend is to get the new hardware but leave the OS alone.

Back
Top Bottom