Windows 8 SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION nvlddmkm.sys

Eir

Hello,

I have this problem: every time I start the computer, after it has been shut down for at least a few minutes, I get a BSOD. Most of the times it's really blurry, and the message says SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and mentions the file nvlddmkm.sys but that is not the only BSOD message I get. I then need to restart the computer several times, most often I end up opening the BIOS settings, only to make sure the HDD configuration has not changed for some reason, and afterwards - the computer starts and works normally.

I tried to check the order of my HDD drives, suspecting that may be causing the problem, as I have 2 SATA HDD and 1 DVD, and an external HDD via USB. I ended up having only the HDD containing the OS attached, and the problem persisted. That HDD is split into 3 partitions, one of which only has an OS on it. Previously, I used to have dual boot configuration between Windows XP and Windows 8, but when installing Windows 8 I removed both old installations and did a format of that freed space on my HDD.

I have also uninstalled the drivers that Windows found for my video card, and reinstalled the latest from the manufacturers site using "Run as Administrator", same for the antivirus software - as I found hints on the internet that those two things may be causing the problem. But it did not change anything.

What is strange is that if I do a restart, I won't get a BSOD. Also if the time between shut down and start is very short.

I have also received several BSOD while the computer was working. The computer was left idle at that time.

I'm attaching all the diagnostic files as described in the sticky post of this topic.

Thanks for any help!!!

Attachments

• W7F_23-04-2013.rar
    1.3 MB · Views: 755
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff88004d22c75, fffff88008e71f08, fffff88008e71740}

Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+8eec75 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,

thank you for posting the information as it's invaluable. Most or nearly all dmp files point to your graphic drivers as the culprit but this isn't always the case. Your carrying some old drivers which might have some effect.

BiosVersion = F8
BiosReleaseDate = 09/22/2008

Your bios is old please update:

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP43-S3L (rev. 1.0)

3xHybr64.sys Fri Apr 20 06:40:07 2007: is possibly a BDA TV Capture Driver? Please update to a more recent version.

hcmon.sys Tue Aug 30 07:05:35 2011: VMware USB monitor

vmci.sys Wed Jul 27 03:42:09 2011
vmnetbridge.sys Fri Jul 08 08:44:44 2011
VMNET.SYS Fri Jul 08 08:43:55 2011: VMware please update if possible:

VMware Virtualization Support, Desktop and Datacenter Virtualization Product Downloads

Rt630x64.sys Tue Jun 12 14:37:53 2012: Realtek PCIE network driver:

Realtek

RTKVHD64.sys Tue Jun 19 09:50:56 2012: Realtek Hidef driver:

Realtek

3xHybr64.sys Fri Apr 20 06:40:07 2007: is possibly a BDA TV Capture Driver?

I see your running Avira. now depending on what else your running this might be causing an issue. I say might as recently Avira became officially compatible with windows 8 but not with everything. Try un-installing and seeing if that changes anything. Also just to rule out any infection please run Malwarebytes:

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download

If after the above is completed your still seeing bsod please post back with the new dmp files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for your quick reply!!!

I am a bit afraid to update the BIOS, as there is only one newer version than what I'm currently running, and that version is said to be BETA, and marked with red. The release date is 2009/09/03, so it's not much newer... Also, this same PC with the same BIOS version until recently ran without any problems both Win XP and Win 7 (32 bit).

I use old version of VMWare as the newer has some bugs when I use it. I have worked with the latest VMWare, but the problem persisted.

Avira Antivir is not causing the problems, I removed it fully, before I reinstalled it again using "Run as Admin", and the problem did not go away. I'm also running another computer with the same Win8 installation and more-less the same software configuration, and Avira Antivir, and that installation has no problems.

What is different are the drivers, its a completely different machine.

I will try to update all the other drivers, although Windows tells me everything is up-to-date.

One exception though: I have a modem on this computer, I don't use it anymore, so I don't have any drivers installed for it. Could that be the problem?

Also, this same PC with the same BIOS version until recently ran without any problems both Win XP and Win 7 (32 bit).

The thing is, is that now your running Windows 8 and some driver requirements are very different. Don't trust Windows to get the very latest updates, some it will find and some it will not. Your always better to source these drivers yourself and Windows 8 runs especially well on the latest versions.
If your not using the modem I'd definitely remove it and see if it makes a difference.

Lastly when installing the graphic card drivers, did you un-install the previous version first?

Here's what I did:
* Updated the BIOS to the latest version
* Removed both the modem and the video capture card
* Uninstalled the Ethernet driver (via the uninstaller) and installed the latest version from the manufacturer's site (you sent me the link)

I didn't remove the VMWare programme, because I had the same problem even before I installed that software. It's a virtual machine, not hardware driver, so I guess it's not the cause of the BSOD.

The problem did not go away :-(

Here are the new dumps.

EDIT: Yes, before installing the graphic card drivers using "Run as Admin" I uninstalled the previous version, and restarted the computer.

Attachments

• W7F_23-04-2013-2.rar
    1.4 MB · Views: 453
I achieved something. Uninstalled NVidia drivers once again, and am using only the default Microsoft drivers. No BSOD anymore!

But, Windows Update finds new drivers for my card... So, I'm not sure whether I should risk and install them. Or attempt again to install the latest version from NVidia's site. What do you suggest?

Here's a third dump, of the system working fine.

Attachments

• W7F_23-04-2013-3.rar
    1.4 MB · Views: 454
Hi,

Just in case you haven't set this go to the Windows update and change the settings from automatic to 'check for updates but ask me whether to download and install them'. That will stop windows from automatically putting drivers on.
When you get the driver from Nvidia which version do you choose on the nationality section? I've seen this in the past where it makes a difference on whether you run a US version or an international version.

Hi Kemical, and thank you for your help!

I do have the update settings as you say, but I normally just accept every update Windows throws at me. I still wanted to check whether it will cause the problem again if I installed the NVidia driver, so I did - only the driver, without any additional software... The system went BSOD again. So, it's definitely the latest version of the driver from NVidia's site that was causing the problem, at least in part. Removing those drivers stops the BSOD.

I installed the International version, as the in the US folder there was no setup.exe

EDIT: for the record, I had to install some updated drivers, because some of the programmes I use didn't work otherwise. I installed what was suggested by Windows Update Centre, and all works fine!

That means there was no need for me to update the BIOS or the other drivers. But at the end, all is fine. Thank you very much for your patience and help!

Thank you for updating your thread. It doesn't matter how we got there I guess but at least your running bsod free and that's the main thing.

The aftermath:

After several days of usage, I noticed that some of the software that I use has limitations due to the improper graphics card driver. Window Update suggested a new driver by NVidia, I installed it and the problem started occurring immediately... :-( The newly installed NVidia software had it's own updating mechanism, and I was notified of even newer drivers v.314.22 - the same I had used before, only not the International but the English version. I installed them, using "Run as admin" but no change, still BSOD on every boot, with the same message. I will now once again remove the NVidia drivers and try to live with the Microsoft drivers, those were the only one that did not cause any problems, but with them there are some limitations in the usage of the graphic card, so some of my software is crippled... :-(

I would appreciate if anyone would come up with a solution to this problem.

Many thanks.

Repeated problems pointing at the same component is suggestive of a problem with that component. In other words, if the problem here is the video card, I'd suggest replacing the video card with one that is known to be good - and see if that stops the problems.

If you don't have one on hand, purchase one from a shop that'll let you return it (if not needed) for your money back. That way the testing won't cost you.

Hi usasma,

thanks for your reply! The point is that that same hardware worked fine with both XP and Win7. It would be quite a coincidence that it started to malfunction at the very same time I installed Win8. It could be that Win8 is not supported for my configuration (the motherboard officially does not say it supports it, although I have found testimonies on the internet that Win8 works on that motherboard just fine). That's why I thought that the Win8 forums would be an appropriate place for this issue.

I wrote also to NVidia, to report the problem, if I get any update from them, I will write again.

Windows 8 processes video differently than Win7 and XP.
You point to numerous problems with video drivers that aren't generally known to cause BSOD issues.

IMO it's prudent to test the video card. Trying another card is the easiest method.

But it's your system, so it's your choice what to do.

Good luck to you.

I installed the latest drivers from NVidia (v.320.49, English), and for several days now, all works fine! The system crashed a few times, I received error messages on shut-down - and none of that occurred without those drivers, but the main problem that I used to have is gone! The computer starts up normally. And all my software works as it should! Very happy to share this on this forum.

Back