Windows 7 Task Bar Does Not Appear

radiodale

I often leave the computer running while I am out of the room. In order to solve another problem, I have just done a clean install. New problem is: When I return and hit a key to turn the monitor back on, the task bar (the entire line at the bottom of the screen) is gone. Without this I cannot use the computer until I turn it off and back on.
Dale

Solution
Dale, the issue you're facing with the taskbar disappearing after the monitor turns off could be due to a variety of reasons. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve this problem:

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Restart Windows Explorer:
    • Sometimes, restarting the Windows Explorer process can resolve issues with the taskbar. You can do this by:
      • Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
      • Locate "Windows Explorer" in the processes list.
      • Right-click on it and select "Restart".
    []Check Taskbar Settings:
    • Ensure that the taskbar is set to auto-hide or not. To check and adjust this setting:
      • Right-click on the taskbar.
      • Check if "Auto-hide the...
Dale, the issue you're facing with the taskbar disappearing after the monitor turns off could be due to a variety of reasons. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve this problem:

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Restart Windows Explorer:
    • Sometimes, restarting the Windows Explorer process can resolve issues with the taskbar. You can do this by:
      • Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
      • Locate "Windows Explorer" in the processes list.
      • Right-click on it and select "Restart".
    []Check Taskbar Settings:
    • Ensure that the taskbar is set to auto-hide or not. To check and adjust this setting:
      • Right-click on the taskbar.
      • Check if "Auto-hide the taskbar" is enabled. If it is, try disabling it.
    [
    ]Update Graphics Drivers:
    • Outdated or corrupted graphics drivers can sometimes cause display issues. Update your graphics drivers to the latest version from the manufacturer's website.
    []Check Power Settings:
    • Ensure that your power settings or display settings are not causing the monitor to turn off unexpectedly.
    [
    ]Rebuild the Icon Cache:
    • A corrupt icon cache can sometimes cause display issues. You can try rebuilding the icon cache:
      • Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
      • Type cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to run Command Prompt as an administrator.
      • In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each:
        Code:
         cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local del /f /s /q IconCache.db
    []Run System File Checker (SFC):
    • Running the System File Checker can help fix corrupted system files that might be causing the issue.
      • Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
    [
    ]Check for Malware:
    • Perform a full system scan using an antivirus program to check for any malware or viruses that might be causing the issue.

Additional Tips:​

• Ensure that your system is up to date with the latest Windows updates.
      • Monitor your system after making changes to see if the issue persists.
      Try these steps and see if any of them help in resolving the taskbar disappearance issue when your monitor turns back on. Let me know if you need further assistance!

Solution