Windows 7 Taskbar disappears

jeroen536

I'm running windows 7RC now more than a month and it makes me smile :) But i've got one problem. When my laptop awakes from standby or when i am not using my laptop for a long time (more than a hour), the taskbar disappears. I can open the start menu with the windows button and all programs work completely, but the taskbar doesn't appear.

Images of the problem:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Does anyone recognize the problem and knows how to solve it?

Did this occur immediately after install or do you recall installing some software that may have caused it.

Have you tried moving it around to a different position on the desktop?

Did this occur immediately after install or do you recall installing some software that may have caused it.

Good question..i installed windows 7 clean, so directly after installing windows I installed all the other stuff i need. Maybe it's the software, i don't know.

Not yet.. the next time the taskbar disappears i'll try it.

You might also want to check your power settings

Just Go to Start > Help and Support and type in laptop power.

My taskbar disappeared a few minutes ago. The screen turned off (powersaver), and when i moved my mouse, the screen turned on, but without taskbar..

I tried to move the taskbar, but i can't click on the taskbar, so i can't move it.

You might also want to check your power settings
Just Go to Start > Help and Support and type in laptop power.
What should i check?

I would go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options, click on the Change when to turn off the display, then click on the Change Advanced power settings link, and take a look at all the individual options under Advanced Settings.

I would go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options, click on the Change when to turn off the display, then click on the Change Advanced power settings link, and take a look at all the individual options under Advanced Settings.
I looked at the poweroptions and didn't find anything what could be related to the taskbar. But...

Google gave me some hope :) i found the following on sevensforums.com:
I seem to lose the taskbar every time the screensaver cuts in too. I have found what seems to me to be a consistently repeatable cure, albeit temporary. I right click the desktop, select Personalize, and bring up the screen saver settings. I click Preview, and as soon as the screen saver starts up I move the mouse, the screensaver terminates and the taskbar has reappeared. Works EVERY time for me!
I can confirm that this temporary solution works for me every time as well. I'm also frustrated that this problem has yet to be fixed, since it has been present for me since the early beta. After testing on multiple systems, my best guess is that it is related to the video drivers, since only those computers with certain NVIDIA gfx cards are what I've seen this on. Certain driver versions appear to work, but not the latest one from the NVIDIA website. Clearly, the screensaver is involved, when looking at antient's temporary solution.

Interestingly, once the bar has disappeared, if you wait for the screensaver to turn on again, then move the mouse, the bar reappears. This is esentially the same as previewing the screensaver.

Has anyone figured out a real solution besides reverting? It's the only real thing holding back my Win7 love.

I've got a NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GS, so i think this is my problem. So i hope NVIDIA will soon launch new drivers..

If it isn't a problem with the video drivers, I hope Microsoft is aware of this siyuation before RTM

Possible Temp Fix for Disappearing Taskbar

I just installed 7 today and of course have the Nvidia drivers you speak of. So in searching this problem, i did two things, got my taskbar back by activating the screensaver, and then saw a possible solution - locked the taskbar - and the reactivated the screensaver - taskbar stays on the desktop in place. Maybe this is the answer for now.

i found out that my screensaver is the source of the problem. Only when i use a screensaver called 'fliqlo' (it's still my favorite) the problem occures. When i use any other screensaver everything works fine, and i don't have any problems with my taskbar.

Do you use the fliqlo screensaver (or an other costum screensaver)?

Missing task bar

Hi Yes this makes perfect sense to me I too have this screen saver and have installed in on two machiines that are experiencing missing taskbars when the screen saver kicks in. If you find a fix to this so the screen saver can be use that would be fab as this is also the one I use the most.

pluto

Thanks so much for this--had the same exact problem, only in my case it was an Hermes watch screensaver that was eating the taskbar!

Back