Windows 7 Taskbar issue

Wout000

Just installed Windows 7 RC 1 (build 7100) and by mistake deleted the IE icon from the taskbar.
Now I don't know for the life of my how to get it back on there... I tried dragging, using the 'pin to taskbar' option, nothing works...

is this a bug, or is there something I'm doing wrong ?

You should be able to just drag the shortcut from the start menu back onto the taskbar as you have said. Make sure the taskbar isnt locked by rightclicking it somewhere and make sure lock the taskbar is not checked. You could also try opening an IE8 window and rightclicking its taskbar icon and choose pin to taskbar from there.

None of the suggestions work. Dragging the icon has no effect. Right clicking to pin the program is not possible as the pin to taskbar option isn't available

Weird huh

Has this always been the case or have you pinned to the taskbar before? Have you installed anything since like that Windows 7 manager?

Try rightclicking the taskbar and click properties then click customise and there should be a button in the bottom left of the next window that says restore default icon behaviours and restart. That may fix your problem.

You should be able to just drag the shortcut from the start menu back onto the taskbar as you have said. Make sure the taskbar isnt locked by rightclicking it somewhere and make sure lock the taskbar is not checked. You could also try opening an IE8 window and rightclicking its taskbar icon and choose pin to taskbar from there.

I agree with loathe, this should work.. ;)

Curious, did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

Thanks for the suggestions.

None of them worked though.

I did a clean install (formatted the drive first).

It's really annoying me. When the OS was done installing, there were 3 icons on the taskbar: IE, libraries and WMP.
I unpinned IE by accident (was messing with stuff) and now i can't get it to re-appear on there.

I tried going to the Internet Explorer folder in Program Files and directly right-click on Internet Eplorer.exe which gives me the option to pin it to the taskbar, but when i click it, nothing happens. Right-clicking on Internet Eplorer.exe reveals that i can now 'unpin' it from the taskbar... so it changed, but the taskbar didn't do anything... it's frickin annoying.

Also dragging Internet Eplorer.exe directly to the taskbar shows a message to pin it, but once i release it, it disappears.

Guess we can classify this as a bug don't you think?

Did you happen to run any software, such as the Tweaking programs made for Windows 7, or Autoruns from Sysinternals where you can remove the pin to taskbar entry?

Have you done any registry editing?

Thanks for the suggestions.

None of them worked though.

I did a clean install (formatted the drive first).

It's really annoying me. When the OS was done installing, there were 3 icons on the taskbar: IE, libraries and WMP.
I unpinned IE by accident (was messing with stuff) and now i can't get it to re-appear on there.

I tried going to the Internet Explorer folder in Program Files and directly right-click on Internet Eplorer.exe which gives me the option to pin it to the taskbar, but when i click it, nothing happens. Right-clicking on Internet Eplorer.exe reveals that i can now 'unpin' it from the taskbar... so it changed, but the taskbar didn't do anything... it's frickin annoying.

Also dragging Internet Eplorer.exe directly to the taskbar shows a message to pin it, but once i release it, it disappears.

Guess we can classify this as a bug don't you think?

I don't think I'd classify it as a bug just yet.. ;) There has to be a reason for it.. And a solution as well.. :)

no registry editing, no tweaking programs none of that. This is a fresh install with only a minimum of applications who aren't at all related to any of these things.

not being able to choose 'PIN to taskbar' when running IE and right-clicking on the icon classifies as a bug in my eyes (this happens with all programs I run btw) Then dragging the program.exe to the taskbar and seeing the 'pin to taskbar' message but then not being able to pin it anyway is a bug.

I drag it to the taskbar, i get the message, i release the program, it dissappears in thin 8-bit air :)

Try gong to Start > Run, and type Regedit.

Double-click on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, expand Shellex > ContextMenuHandlers, and verify that the entry beginning with {90AA3A4E-**** has a entry called Taskband pin.

Earlier you stated when running IE.

Can you eleaborate on that?

Have you tried pinning a shorcut from the desktop?

Back