Windows 7 Taskbar Preview

Sentallion

Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys could help me with this little annoying issue.

When i have a program in the taskbar and i hover over the program i get like a preview window popup. Is there anyway of disabling this?

This is what i've tried so far.

Disable Aero Preview (i know this may have nothing to do with my problem)
I've gone to gpedit.msc and have disabled "Turn off Taskbar Thumbnails".

none of them seem to work.

Any suggestions would be great appreicated.

Thanks

Sent

Hello and welcome,

I've disabled changing background on my machine,

but I think the only way to do that is by choosing Windows Basic or go to Start > Rum , and type services.msc and stop the Themes service.

However, there goes all the Aero effects.

Open Computer and click system properties at the top. Next click advanced system settings. Click settings under performance. Uncheck Aero Peek in the visual effects tab.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

*EDIT*
Or you can just rightclick the taskbar and click properties and uncheck use aero peek to... down the bottom. Slightly easier =P

Last edited:
loathe,

Mine is unchecked a it still shows the preview, either way you mentioned.

Maybe it's just me y computer.....Experimentation, you know what I mean.;)

@loathe

I've disabled aero preview, but it still doesn't work.

i've included a picture of what it does.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

i just want to remove the preview.

Thanks

Sent

If you disable the themes service, then go where loathe stated and turn off Save taskbar thumbnail previews.

I'd have to say, it's pretty ugly

Have a look at this thread I posted a while ago. A small tweak that opens the last used window by leftclicking the icon on the taskbar. Doesnt remove the preview but still lets you open the window with one less click.

So I’ve written a little AutoHotkey script that takes care of this problem. Clicking on an icon restores the last used window and middle clicking an icon closes all windows. I’ve dubbed this program Taskbar Overlord.

Have a look at this thread I posted a while ago. A small tweak that opens the last used window by leftclicking the icon on the taskbar. Doesnt remove the preview but still lets you open the window with one less click.

So I’ve written a little AutoHotkey script that takes care of this problem. Clicking on an icon restores the last used window and middle clicking an icon closes all windows. I’ve dubbed this program Taskbar Overlord.
Yeah i'm trying to remove it all together, but it sounds like a real hassle if i have to remove theme services.

Sent

Something that works with Win 7 Home Premium final release

With this edition there is no policy editor, so those solutions are out. Adding the registry keys TaskbarwithoutThumbnail or TaskbarNoThumbnail, as suggested by others, doesn't work.

One guy posted a solution that works, though. Increase the value of MouseHoverTime in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse to something large enough to delay those thumbnails appearing every time the mouse pointer slides by them. I set mine to 10000 (ten seconds).
Link Removed - Not Found

--
Dave

Wow, I've tried ever solution posted and then some and not one works! Even the last idea of changing the mouse hover time to a long period, which seemed like such a clever run-around, did not do anything (yes, I restarted my computer and still it did not help). Any other ideas out there? Am I doomed? The obnoxious little previews popping up are driving me crazy! :frown:

Wow, I've tried ever solution posted and then some and not one works! Even the last idea of changing the mouse hover time to a long period, which seemed like such a clever run-around, did not do anything (yes, I restarted my computer and still it did not help). Any other ideas out there? Am I doomed? The obnoxious little previews popping up are driving me crazy! :frown:
Are you using the production release of Win 7? Which edition?

Increasing the MouseHoverTime to 10 seconds solved the problem for me, with Home Premium final release.

--
Dave

I've searched the internet for ways to disable the preview window, and none of them worked EXCEPT increasing the mouse-over hover time. I increased it from 400 (4 tenths of a second) to 1000000 (about 16 minutes) and now I don't see it. Well, once in a while it pops up, but for the most part I don't see it. I have the final release of Home Premium -- no beta copies here. I have to say, it UTTERLY AMAZES ME that it didn't occur to Microsoft that some users might be annoyed by the preview window. Microsoft's motto: Do it our way, or do it our way.

Hey, in case anyone is still interested in this "problem," I ran across a fantastic application that completely solves it. In addition, it let me change some other things with the new Windows 7 taskbar that I didn't care too much for. It is aptly called the "7 Taskbar Tweaker," and I love it. :D You can get it at its author's website here.

Hey, in case anyone is still interested in this "problem," I ran across a fantastic application that completely solves it. In addition, it let me change some other things with the new Windows 7 taskbar that I didn't care too much for. It is aptly called the "7 Taskbar Tweaker," and I love it. :D You can get it at its author's website here.

It worked! It got rid of the preview windows completely. Thank you!

Back