Windows 8 Taskbar problems

brod298

Extraordinary Member
My taskbar with toolbars: address, desktop, links etc becomes just empty blue space after PC was idle. nothing on it and I have to restart to be able to get it back again. Also. in that "state" I can choose application from Start screen but it does not open. Just show on that empty taskbar. When I click it, little picture of it pop up above taskbar but it can only be closed. Nothing shows as open on Alt+F4 or in upper left corner, even when I open or better say click on all aps on Start screen. All I pinned on taskbar dissapears also. Anybody can help ?
(I am so confused with Win 8 after my friendly beloved XP :(((

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like something did not install correctly. You could try a Refresh Install, but be advised any non-MS apps you installed will have to be reinstalled. (They are uninstalled during the Refresh)

A better option could be to reinstall from scratch. Did you originally burn a DVD or Flash Drive? If so you can just pop the media in and start over. Having a DVD also gives the option of using the Repair Console.

If not, your email receipt has a link near the top to start over. This time choose Install by creating media. Burn the media, then boot to it.

Once you fix this problem, check my tutorial on starting with Win 8. It might help relieve some of the confusion.

I am really mad about it, now it starts with frozen desktop not Start screen. I bought new PC wih Win8 on it, so no disc or anything, I guess I can Refresh Install but will it do anything good? I just added Chrome as I don't like IE never used it even in XP. Now, when I finally got to Chrome and my mail if I leave it on for a while, when I come back it's that frozen desktop there, my att.mail in the left corner but cannot be launched.I am an old lady, I bypassed password screen as I am the only one using PC, but this much trouble I never had, not in entire 6 years handling friendly XP. Can I somehow got XP from my old desktop and discard this junk until Microsoft admits that it was worse than Vista? Maybe Win9 will be better or at least work :))

If this is a new PC, head back to the place you bought it. Your original post did not mention this is a new PC. It's still under warranty. They have to make it right.

This is a great OS, when installed properly. You have a defective PC or installation. Take it back.

If this is a new PC, head back to the place you bought it. Your original post did not mention this is a new PC. It's still under warranty. They have to make it right.

This is a great OS, when installed properly. You have a defective PC or installation. Take it back.
Thank you very much, I'll see first with MS support and then do something with seller :))

Back