Windows 7 Taskbar resizing

doormat

Hi,

I run windows 7 x64 ultimate and I like to have my taskbar on the left side of the desktop. I widen it just enough to have two icons in the system tray wide. Now any time aero stops working (for any number of reasons), the taskbar resizes back to being just one icon wide (the minimum). I then have to unlock the taskbar, resize it to what I want, and then lock it again. I'm pretty sure this isn't intended behavior so any way to fix it?

I think the clue here is you saying that aero stops working, which it shouldn't (unless this happens when it's turned off during gaming which happens by default).
Do you have the latest drivers running on your system?

Yes, I do have the latest drivers but for whatever reason aero will stop working and it will revert to a different theme. Sometimes I have noticed that video chatting in skype will stop aero as well as some games.

I really don't see the issue being aero stopping. I think it should be able to handle aero stopping correctly without resizing my taskbar.

Hmm.. Have you tried running the system file checker? Rightclick on cmd prompt and 'run as admin'. Then type:
sfc /scannow
Then hit enter and the checker will cycle through repairing any corrupt files it finds.

Back