Windows 7 taskbar

fargo89

using Windows 7 for the first time... I have a problem with the taskbar.. I always set up the taskbar so it has two "floors"; on top I have open programs and on the bottom program icons (I hate going thru the 'start' menu to open programs... or minimizing all windows so I can see the desktop to get to the icons...) even in Vista I was able to do this, but can't find how do it in Windows 7... is this possible in Windows 7??? icons for open programs take up all the avail. space..

thank you...

EDIT: I gues I meant I always had quick launch bar and taskbar together one on top of the other... in Vista they're both one???

Last edited:
Mr

Like this one of mine?

Just right click in the bar and add folders containing links:

Drag the bottom of the bar to create rows for multiple toolbars.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Mr

oh awesome.. thank you.. I had dragged so many times, now finally it worked, have two "floors"..... however, it's still all one toolbar, I don't see those dotted thingies that are in yr screenshot, where you drag toolbars.... pls see my screenshot... have attached to this post..

ss_taskbar.jpg

you see how program icons (to open prog's) and currently-running prog's are all in one toolbar? I would like one toolbar for open programs, and another for icons for programs I use the most...

thank you very much...

EDIT: it's quick launch that I'm missing.. I think...

Last edited:

Grab the bottom of the bar and drag it down to allow for more rows. Right click in empty space on the bar and select "toolbars", "new toolbar" to add another folder (I keep all mine as separate folders inside a single folder called "toolbars" on drive C). Drag the toolbars from one row to another by clicking and holding on the "dotted thingies". Each of those dotted things is a folder of shortcuts. Never leave a row without at least one toolbar else it gets absorbed by another row.

Last edited:

ok, got taskbar (Add the Quick Launch Bar to the Taskbar in Windows 7 - How-To Geek)
but: I can't pin programs to it!!!

they don't 'stick' to quick launch if I drag them there.. and if I select program in start menu and right-click there's no "pin to quick launch" option... :-( there's "pin to taskbar", but not to quick launch... what's M$'s problem with quick launch?? I want only open prog's in taskbar... oh man.. thank you...

Forget quick launch. Create a folder on your C drive called toolbars. In that folder create another folder for each group of programs you want - like I have av, utils, apps etc. For each program you want a shortcut to right click on it in the start menu and "send to desktop". Copy the shortcut from the desktop into the appropriate toolbars folder. Right click on the Windows main bar, select "toolbars", "add toolbar" and navigate to the folder you want displayed. It will then show. You can right click in the bar to show or hide either the name of the toolbar and the names of the shortcuts.

thank you very much, Mr.. will certainly try this.. it drives me NUTS not to be able to prog's to quick launch, b/c I also put shortcuts to locations on the network and such (& sometimes even shortcuts to documens.. I hope you do that w/yr magic toolbars...;-) now can't do any of that.. thank you very much...

AWESOME.. finally had time to do this.. works like a charm....:) thank you very much....

Back
Top Bottom