Windows 7 Telnet client won't work in any shell but cmd

drbeaker

I just installed the telnet client and it works from a cmd shell but any other shell (eg tcc) gives "unknown command" and can't see telnet.exe in system32. I tried copying the telnet.exe to another directory but that just hung!

Any ideas?

I just installed the telnet client and it works from a cmd shell but any other shell (eg tcc) gives "unknown command" and can't see telnet.exe in system32. I tried copying the telnet.exe to another directory but that just hung!

Any ideas?

I'm glad to hear that Microsoft is sticking to the good tradition of making their new OS'es incomatible with that ancient crap.

Hardly a helpful response. Telnet is actually one of the most useful network debugging tools.

This turns out to be a Win64 file redirection issue. My only solution to date is to download a 32-bit third-party telnet client.

Hardly a helpful response. Telnet is actually one of the most useful network debugging tools.

This turns out to be a Win64 file redirection issue. My only solution to date is to download a 32-bit third-party telnet client.
I was making a joke. Telnet is extremely versatile. I used it once to connect to port 25 of a Usenet server and impersonated a NNTP server, creating loads of useless newgroups as an experiment. The Usenet server propagated them all over the world within 24 hours ! That was somewhere in the nineties. Those groups still exist. The power of telnet is it's simplicity, that it can be used to mimic virtually any protocol, not just telnet.

Back
Top Bottom