Windows 7 Temp staging files for copying later-folder pointers

michaeljc70

I have a lot of directories that need to be transported via USB drive later (the files/folders vary each time). I want the files to remain in their original location, but have some kind of folder or structure where I can group the folders so that when I need to copy them, it is a simple matter of selecting one folder and copying it to the USB drive. I don't want to create duplicates of files or folders. Basically, I want some kind of folder or holding area that will have pointers to the folders/files I need to copy.

Can I do this in Windows 7?

One idea I had was to use Libraries. That would kind of work, but it isn't drag and drop and is more awkward to add folders to.

I know at the beginning of the week which folders I will need for that week, so I want to set it up in advance sow hen it is time to do the copy, it is easy.

I know I could setup a simple batch file (with XCOPYs) , but was hoping for a better solution where I could browse the files before I copy them, etc.

You could use a very cheap program called WindowsAutomation Windows automation. Automate Windows with Automation Anywhere: the leading Windows Automation Software It's just $7,000 (I'm not kidding!)

I use a program called Super Flexible File Synchronizer which is only $59 and it's GREAT for that (with scheduling and everything.)

I'm sure there are free 3rd party software too but I haven't looked. (Of course, you can accomplish this with Autohotkey too). If you don't want to spend money, let me know and I'll look around. I don't know of a way to do this in Windows.

Back