Windows Vista Temps

jasonw

This may be off topic from vista but I was just wandering. What temps should I look at? Rite now core0 is at 53C and core1 is at 55C. My office has no cooling or insulation so it can get hot in here. The other day the temps hit 62C and my fans fired up for the first time in the 2 years sence I got the computer. It worried me because all of the sudden there was all this noise like a jet under my desk. When I investigated I noticed the fans went from about 1500rpm to 4500rpm. As soon as I dropped below 60C they went right back to 1500rpm. I have been told I dont want to go above 60C is that true? I have the PS fan, stock case fan in the front and a CPU fan. I added a fan to me 2nd HD as well as one of those blue led fans that hook to one of the card slots. I think though the led fan is sucking air in from the slot and blowing it down on the CPU and I am pretty sure I was told all the air should come in from the front and exit the back so basicaly I am sucking hot air from the PS right in on the CPU. Hmmmm any suggestions? Should I remove the 2 fans I put in there and just let it run with the fans that came with the system?

It kinda depends on the CPU but usually it's best if you don't let temps go above the mid fifties. After reading your post I've got a couple of suggestions. If you've had the pc a couple of years I bet it's full of fluff/dust. I clean my rig every few months or so but thats because I run an overclocked rig and temps can be critical.
As for configeration (air through the front and out the back or a negative pressure system) again this depends on your case really but I'd first clean out the dust (you may even have take off the CPU fan to clean properly) then see how your temps are looking. If they are still a little high then post again and we'll take it further..

I guess I should have mentioned this before but I am a clean freak, especially when it comes to the computers. They get blown out at 20psi every 2 weeks. I have done this sence day one of getting the new computers. At this time it is 82F in the office and the computer via speed fan "I have the latest release" is reporting Core0 55C and Core1 53C. Yesterday my wife said the copmputer froze on her. This is the first time that has happened so I am asuming the office got to around 100F and the computer just could not handel it. As I said before my office is not insulated or cooled in anyway other than opening windows and at this time our N. Cali heat is being relentless on us. Make playing on the computers no fun lol.

I'm impressed! Well done on the cleaning regime.
As for the temps... They are not too bad at that 55ish but is that at idle? Obviously when your system is at full load then thats when you need to know your temps. If they are climbing well above 60c then it may be causing the lock-ups. You could always invest in a quality cooler as I suspect your using the default one that comes with the chip..
Below is a link to a popular Intel cooler (I presume your using Intel chips) although there are many others..

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Right now at idle the temps are 58 and 56. Core0 load said 100% and Core1 says 30% and this is doing nothing which is why I think I have a bug. The load on all the other computers go down to about 7% while this one always stays up.

Almost forgot to mention. I am using the stock old heat sink and fan that came with the system. I just ordered the stuff for the new server today so Monday I will call newegg and see if they can add that to the order before UPS picks it up. Oh BTW the processor says its an Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz. That cooler will work?

Right now at idle the temps are 58 and 56. Core0 load said 100% and Core1 says 30% and this is doing nothing which is why I think I have a bug. The load on all the other computers go down to about 7% while this one always stays up.

That's pretty high for idle.. Although you state that the pc should be doing nothing although the cores are registering 100% usage (or one is). That is pretty strange.. Have you tried using the task manager to see if you can track down any errant processes?

Those coolers are supposed to be the real deal so you should be ok once fitted. Just make sure you have enough room in the case for the height of the cooler as this has caught many a folk out....

How tall is it? How much room will I need in inches? I have tried to use the task manager but to no avail. All I see being used is "System idle process" and that only like 3%-5%. Nothing ells shows its being used. I even tried stopping all the processes that it said were started by me and it still did not help.

I also went though and typed each process in Google to see what they all do and every one on the list seams legit.

Ok thanks. I am currently compiling some data for you to see whats what. I am getting room temp, core0 and 1 temp, fan speeds, CPU loads and what not so far its running cool today but the outside air temp is cool today as well.

Ok here is the info. Unfortunately it dosnt show anything abnormal. For some reason the temps are cool and the computer is running great today. I think it knew I was watching it like a hawk so it was on its best behavuor. All the data below is at idle with no unnecessary programs running. Also I have 2 other fans that run full RPM all the time, they are the fans I added and Speedfan dose not pick them up so there is no data for them. The 2 fans in the data are the fans that came on the computer. I am fairly sure fan 1 is the CPU fan and Fan 2 in the fan in the front of the case.

Time: 824am
Office Temp: 72F
CPU Load: 4.8%
Core0: 48C
Core1: 49C
Fan1: 1730
Fan2: 994

Time: 901AM
Office Temp: 72
CPU Load: 4.1%
Core0: 47C
Fan1: 1722
Fan2: 984

Time: 945
Office Temp: 72F
CPU Load: 5%
Core0: 48C
Fan1: 1718
Fan2: 977

Time: 1125
Office Temp: 76F
CPU Load: 2.5%
Core0: 47C
Core1: 50C
Fan1: 1699
Fan2: 1027

Time: 1229
Office Temp: 80
CPU Load: 3.0
Core0: 49C
Core1: 51C
Fan1: 1699
Fan2: 1030

Many thanks for the info as it is invaluable..

I think if you installed the new cooler you'll see much lower temps (hopefully around 38-42c) . I do have some tips for speedfan however. The reason speedfan isn't picking up the other fans is that they have to be connected to whats called a pwm header/connection. Usually motherboards have only two of these types of fan connectors, one for the CPU and one for the Northbridge. Now to ascertain which fan is which you have to alter a fan setting (via speedfan) and listen which one changes pitch, then you know that setting is for that fan and so on..

I wish I could just set the fans to full power all the time but speed fan will not allow me to change anything. All it shows is the RPM. In the config for speed fan it dose show a Fan 3 at 0RPM. Maybe that's a connection on the motherboard for another fan hmmm.

Speedfan does take some setting up and I had to read the instructions long and hard before I eventually got it..

Edit: Saying that though, once you've done it once it's surprisingly easy next time. (obviously)

Instructions? Where do I find instructions?

LOL... If you look in the folder that gets placed in your start menu, you'll see a 'how to' guide. I'm pretty sure you'll need a pdf reader to utilize it but it does contain the stuff you need.

I did a screen shot of the guide and no you don't need a pdf reader neither...

It's just a free USB cable... One of those kinda things where you either need it or you don't but handy to have around I guess..
So hopefully tomorrow you will be running nice and cool?

Back