Windows 7 "The Windows Installer SErvice Could Not Be Accesed" Reinstallation or help?

Luis Rueda

Lately, I have been getting this error. This is quite a pain when it comes to installing some things, like the newest version of iTunes, some games bought through Steam, etc. I also think it may be the reason why some updates aren't installing right away anymore. I also can't access things like Add And Remove programs, and I believe this is it (as another question, is it potentially? If not, then what is?). Because of it, thins like Adobe Flash Player also won't update.

Lately, I've been trying to find a way to fix it, but none work. When I try to Google how to reinstall it, I usually get old XP help, or Vista- and I'm not sure that works.

This is a problem that's really annoying me, and I will take my laptop to Geek Squad if I can't figure this out. To clarify, this is a Windows 7, Acer, 64 bit.

If anyone can help me repair Windows Installer Service for Windows 7, or show me some place were I could reinstall this, I'd be REALLY thankful!

I'm not familiar with these forums, so if I submitted it to the wrong place, I apologize. If so, can someone tell me were the correct place to ask this question would be?

Last edited:
It sounds like this may have been an installation over the top of a Vista OS?
Common reason for the installation problem is the registry under

“HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/msiserver

has been corrupted.
Unfold the attached, which is a copy from my 64 machine, and double click the reg to import it into your registry. I cannot see this will fix the other problems, but see how far the reg import takes you.
Frankly, it sounds like you need to do a restore to an earlier date, or even a reinstall.

You might open an administrative command prompt and type the following and enter after:

SFC /scannow

This checks your system files. Maybe something there has gotten corrupted.

It sounds like this may have been an installation over the top of a Vista OS?
Common reason for the installation problem is the registry under

“HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/msiserver

has been corrupted.
Unfold the attached, which is a copy from my 64 machine, and double click the reg to import it into your registry. I cannot see this will fix the other problems, but see how far the reg import takes you.
Frankly, it sounds like you need to do a restore to an earlier date, or even a reinstall.

So I just tried that thing you sent me (thank you very much, by the way). It doesn't appear to work-

First I get this, which I assume is normal- "Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly. If you do not trust the source of this information in C:\Users\Luis\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$SDI06.213\Msi.reg, do not add it to the registry. Are you sure you want to continue?" I click yes, and I get that all that has "Been successfully added to the Registry." However, nothing has changed, and I still get the dreaded "Windows Installer Service cannot be accessed". My only restore points are too recent to work and I get the same error message every time.

Anyone got anything else to recommend?

(Also, don't know if this is what you meant by that Vista OS comment, but I bought this computer as a Windows 7 around March of last year.)

Sorry, my comment re Vista was not meant rudely, in fact, Xp would have been more relevant.I am just trying to pick up on what installation you actually have, as I was drawn to your succesive problems and the comment "Add And Remove programs". There is no such in Windows 7, it was discarded way back when Vista was introduced. Maybe a typo on your part?
But have you tried Saltgrass's suggestion? I doubt it will do the trick, with your particular problems, but worth a try.

Sorry, been busy.

Well, I tried to do SFC /scannow, the program doesn't work- it just flashes for a split second then closes.

Likewise, I think I was thinking "Add OR remove programs." since that's what my Windows 7 Acer has.

Back