Windows 7 This file cannot be moved to the recycle bin?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Since I reinstalled everything I keep getting the message, "This file cannot be moved to the recycle bin", and then a window saying "Do you want to delete it", these don't have to be large files.

I must got this with a 2 mb .jpg file?

I checked the setting and there is plenty of space allocated and it's not set to delete files directly.

Some files do get sent to the recycle bin, but most of them won't go.

Anyone have any ideas, normally everything just went into to bin unless it was very large.

Mike

If you look at the properties of the recycle bin, there may be some settings related to your situation. One is the maximum size that can be sent to the bin. Mine shows around 14000 MB, but seems to be set for the useable space in the specific partition. Since you have already check these numbers, maybe the number has been set incorrectly.

Are your recycle bins showing empty, and considering each partition has it own, is the one you are using set for enough space.

Is it just a .jpg that will not work correctly? Are there any special attributes on the files that do not work?

Edit: Oh, and your shift key isn't sticking?

Last edited:
I'll check it out, maybe it's only certain file types.

I just sent some of my Ghost backups to the bin, they went and they are big.

I'll try different file types and see if there is a pattern.

Mike

It might be a problem with the files and not the recycle bin. Try LockHunter and see if the files are locked or protected and what is locking them, preventing them from being deleted.

Hi

They can be deleted fine they just can't be moved to the Recycle Bin?
I'm finding this with some folders too.

It says This file or Folder Cannot be moved to the Recycle Bin, do you want to Delete it, when I say yes it says are you sure (something to that effect) and when I say yes it deletes it.

I'm just curious why can't it be moved to the Recycle Bin, some of these are only 2 mb files.
It's not a real problem unless I delete something by mistake.
Then I won't get the chance to restore it.

Mike

Can you upload the following images? (one on clicking right mouse on bin and one after choosing properties and the drive the files are on that won't go to bin). p.s. does this happen on all drives or only one drive?

I want to make sure there are no 3rd party software managing your bin.

You can also delete your recycle bin. Maybe it's corrupted. Windows will create a new one on restart.
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2802/vista_how_to_reset_recycle_bin/

Attachments

• RB002.JPG
    RB002.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 588
  • RB001.JPG
    RB001.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
Hi

I can't seem to get the first shot since the Window disappears as soon as I do anything.

Here is a shot of the message I get, and of the recycle bin properties.

Can't move.JPG Recycle Bin Properties.JPG

When I right click on the recycle bin on the desktop it looks just like your sample.
When I right click on the recycle bin in Windows Explorer I get a different dialog.

It has these options...

Expand

Open in New Window

Run CCleaner

Rename

Properties

Like I said this isn't a big problem but I never ran into this before and I thought that I may have something set differently some place since the new install.

I'll try uninstalling it and see what happens.

Mike

First, to get the first snapshot, you are right, the snipping tool won't work because it disappears too fast, so you can use the "prtscn" button and paste in "windows paint" and crop it.

Tell us if deleting it worked.

Also, tell us if it only happens on your D drive or also on the C (and other) drives. (It might be a problem with the partition)

In the meantime, here are some other suggestions in case it didn't:

1. Try deleting in safe mode. If it goes to recycle bin in safe mode, then it's a problem with a driver and we can take it from there.
2. Here are solutions that helped others: Files Are Not Moved to the Recycle Bin - Microsoft Answers
and here are some others: Files Are Not Moved To Recycle Bin - Microsoft Answers

Hi

I went through all of this stuff.
I didn't see anything that was unusual.

I finally set both drives to delete directly without asking and rebooted my computer.

Then I changed them back to the regular settings.

I just deleted about a dozen files and folders, and it asked, and moved all of them to the recycle bin so the problem seems to be resolved.

Another one of those weird things.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Well, if just changing the settings and restarting helped, definitely deleting the recycle bin and restarting would have helped too. Glad you worked it out.

I tried to do the delete and reboot thing, but I don't get any option to delete it when I used right click, and the delete key had no effect on it.

But at least it's all working now, I just installed Acrobat Reader, I think that's the last thing that I hadn't done.

Everything is up and running again.

I won't do that again.

And I do have Acronis installed and have made several backups of my C:\ drive.
Tonight before I go to bed I will start it backing up my D:\ drive.

I got Ghost to run again too so I have access to my old backups.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

Last edited:
Back