This file does not have a program associated with it for... Computer Management

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by HaRaDwAiTh, Nov 30, 2009.

1. HaRaDwAiTh

HaRaDwAiTh Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Firstly, I'd like to apologize, I'm Spanish so translate Windows board messages to English is sometimes quite difficult.

I was trying to create a new partition for installing XP, so I entered to Computer Management in Computer (from desktop icon) -> Manage from the only user account currently existing (my own administrator account) and I could do enter properly and made the partition. However, when I reboot the computer and I tried to enter again this menu, I had a problem:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

So right now I can't enter to Computer Management menu from Computer desktop icon, but if I go to the "C:/Windows/System32/compmgmt" or "Computer Management.lnk" I can access to Computer Management in a right way. It's only the problem of the association.

Could you help me, please? Thank you in advance.

Regards.

2. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...
    YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL. There is no upgrade path.

There are user migration tools you can use, but you will need to backup your files and do a clean install. I have seen several threads about this and just want to clarify.

The upgrade from Windows Vista is a valid upgrade path, but Windows XP to Windows 7 is not'
    That's probably why are having having conflicts

Did you save It with the 3 letter extension of ,.msc

#2 reghakr, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  3. HaRaDwAiTh

HaRaDwAiTh Well-Known Member

Mmmm. If this is a Windows 7 Forum, and I said that I tried to install XP, I don't know what was the problem... :rolleyes:

I wasn't upgrading the system, I have W7 already installed and I was trying to install XP on a new partition (from W7 to XP) and after that I got the Computer Management problem. But thank you anyway for helping. I restored Windows with System Restore and I forgot everything about this topic.

Thank you anyway. :)

Regards.

4. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

Well,good luck.

We tried our best:)