Windows 7 Timing out on one web site

Brewskie

Last week vBulletin.com went through a server update and since then I haven't been able to reach it....on one of my computers. My second computer reaches the web site fine.

What would cause only one web site to be unreachable with just one computer using the same router?

I'm thinking it may be a problem with the Hosts file, but I'm not exactly sure.

I've reinstalled Win7 over the top of the current install and the problem remains.

If all three of my computers couldn't reach the web site, vbulletin.com (and .org which is on the same server) then I would say it would probably be a router problem or something to do with their web site. But it's only happening on this one computer.

Win7pro x64
4gig ram
GTX280

Thank you for your help!

B

Last week vBulletin.com went through a server update and since then I haven't been able to reach it....on one of my computers. My second computer reaches the web site fine.

What would cause only one web site to be unreachable with just one computer using the same router?

I'm thinking it may be a problem with the Hosts file, but I'm not exactly sure.

I've reinstalled Win7 over the top of the current install and the problem remains.

If all three of my computers couldn't reach the web site, vbulletin.com (and .org which is on the same server) then I would say it would probably be a router problem or something to do with their web site. But it's only happening on this one computer.

Win7pro x64
4gig ram
GTX280

Thank you for your help!

B

have you tried refreshing\reloading the page or clearing your browser cache then retrying ?

which browser are you trying with ?

I've cleared the cache.

I'm using FF 3.6

I also tried to get there with IE8 but that won't reach the site either. Which is why I was thinking it was the hosts file or something.

Thanks for your help :)

I've cleared the cache.

I'm using FF 3.6

I also tried to get there with IE8 but that won't reach the site either. Which is why I was thinking it was the hosts file or something.

Thanks for your help :)

do you have a third party firewall or AV \ security suite that might be blocking connection ?

Yea.

I uninstalled Norton Internet security 2009

I disabled the built-in Win7 firewall

I rechecked the firewall in the Netopia router

I'm still stumped :(

It should be working

As a note

The status bar says it is finding the site. It just times out...in both IE and FF

---------------

The connection has timed out

The server at www.vBulletin.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Last edited:
Thanks ickymay

I went to that page and tried all I could

I did a ping...timed out

I tried tracert...timed out

But my other computers get to the site.

:/

Hello nmsuk

Yea...I've flushed the dns cache. I also looked into the hosts file and vbulletin.com isn't in there.

Right now I've been running every anti-virus/malware app I know of.

Ran so far:

AVG
Norton A/V
Spybot S&D
Malwarebytes
HijackThis
Kaspersky

Next up:

Super Antispyware
Comodo Anti-Virus
Comodo Anti-Malware (BOClean)
TrendMicro
BitDefender
Anti-Trojan Elite
McAfee A/V
Norman anti-malware

If these won't find something then I am really stuck.

did you take a look at your hosts file in the end ?

the only other settings that can block websites on a windows 7 computer are the parental controls found in the control panel ?

icky

Yea I looked through the hosts file. I'm not exactly sure how that file works, but there wasn't anything in there about vbulletin.com

I've tried every anti-virus app I can get my hands on and now I feel I'm sort of an expert on these....like stay away from "Anti-Trojan Elite"!

Anti-Trojan Elite said it found a trojan (2), the only app that said it found something, but it wouldn't let me know what it was, where it was or any other detail. It only popped up a link to pay the 40bucks for the full version to get rid of it. I just can't trust any app that will do that. I'm not going to pay them money without knowing they are using a false positive.

And Kaspersky was slooooow as molases. Not only that by it wouldn't install if any other anti-virus was installed, even though I didn't choose to use real-time protection. I had to uninstall everything and reinstall everything after using it. Kaspersky, never again.

None of the A/V programs found anything.

My last ditch effort was to reinstall the chipset drivers and ethernet drivers for the XFX 780i mainboard.

I think I've run out of options, other than to reformat the drive and reinstall Win7.

I ended up reinstalling windows and the problem is gone, I'm able to get to vbulletin.com/org

I have no clue what happened though.

Thanks for your help guys....I know now where to go when I need it.

Cheers!

I ended up reinstalling windows and the problem is gone, I'm able to get to vbulletin.com/org

I have no clue what happened though.

Thanks for your help guys....I know now where to go when I need it.

Cheers!

glad it's sorted now but I am still mystified, as I believe we checked everything, and the only thing left was to clear your DNS cache which you said you did ?

Yup

Clearing the dns cache was among the first things I did. It just seemed to be so obvious.

Since I have no clue how it happened I'm hoping it doesn't come back :/

After thinking about this, there is one thing I didn't do.

I didn't go into Windows safe mode and run the virus checkers.

I don't know if that would have helped, but it is something I didn't do.

:)

Back