Tiny issue, but irritating none the less.

Recently played the Diablo 3 beta, put an icon of it on my taskbar, and now I can't remove it. I uninstalled it hoping that would get rid of it, but that just changed it to a "blank-page icon", and even before I uninstalled Diablo 3, when I would right-click on the icon, nothing would pop up, but I could launch the program from the same icon without any problems.

Anyone know how I can get rid of this icon?

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hi, if you open folder options (open my computer and you'll see it on the left) look under the view tab and check the box to display hidden folders. Then navigate to:

C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

You should be able to manually delete the offending icon from there..

Hi, if you open folder options (open my computer and you'll see it on the left) look under the view tab and check the box to display hidden folders. Then navigate to:

C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

I managed to make my way into this folder, but the icon actually isn't showing up.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hmm...… Try this. Navigate to here:

C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

Delete the iconcache.db file and reboot. Your icons will be rebuilt and you'll hopefully lose the unwanted one on the taskbar. :)

Sorry, but that didn't get rid of it either. It's strange, I can actually move the icon around on the taskbar but the computer is acting like it doesn't exist.

OMGOSH LMAO!!!

I got rid of it. All I had to do after uninstalling the D3 Beta was click on the icon. It opened up a little window that basically said, "This program/icon does not exist, would you like to delete it?"
And uh..yeah that took care of it, and I feel slightly retarded. xD

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
LOL.. We've all been there... Glad you sorted it. :)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.