Windows 7 touchpad problem with windows 7

steve cowan

hi all i have a problem with touch pad it wont work with windows seven at all any help would be gratefull cheers ,ive it a brick wall with all drivers with synaptics

hi all i have a problem with touch pad it wont work with windows seven at all any help would be gratefull cheers ,ive it a brick wall with all drivers with synaptics

Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software"
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Warning this uses regedit and can mess up your system. Have someone else do it if you don't feel comfortable about editing

your registry. Smarter people than I may be able to cut out some steps and this process might be applied to other drivers. I

am not a computer expert! Well, this is how I got my Synaptics ps2 touchpad to work on my Benq. I hate Synaptics now and I

will never buy a computer that has a synaptics device again. The basic problem is that I believe since Windows XP service

pack 3 you MUST HAVE A SIGNED SET OF DRIVERS or it won't install and run on your system. Sure the programs installs it, but

windows won't recognize it! So you delete the driver and reboot. Humm, windows7 identifies a mouse, not a touch pad so it

installs the wrong driver- and guess what..its not signed and you are back to square one. What worked for me. Logon as a user

with administator rights. Step 1. Download and install the "Universal Extractor" from FileHippo

Download Universal Extractor 1.6.1 - FileHippo.com Step 2. Download but do not install the windows 7 version of the

synaptics driver. Drivers | Synaptics Step 3. Go to control panel-progams and feature and uninstall

anything synaptic Step 4. Reboot Step 5. Go to control panel-system-Device manager-View and check -Show hidden devices. If

something new shows up under mice and other pointing devices. Right click and delete the device/drivers. Step 6. Boot to safe

mode Step 7. Start regedit Step 8. Use the search to find synaptics check whole word option. Step 9. Search and delete

anything that shows up until the search doesn't find any more locations. Step 10. Reboot back to safe mode Step 11. Go to

control panel-system-Device manager-View and check -Show hidden devices. (Make sure you don't delete the HID mouse!) If

something new shows up under mice and other pointing devices. Right click and delete the device/drivers. Step 12. Find the

file you downloaded from synaptics, right click on it and look for the option - unextract to subdir. It will ask which mode

to use-pick- "not an install shield" and extract. Step 13. Open the new file directory-

Synaptics_v15_2_20_C_XP32_Vista32_Win7-32_Signed_Marketing_SGS94_UI-Scrybe and click to run dpinst.exe This will install the

SIGNED drivers you need without all the other **** from synaptics. Step 14. Reboot and go to the logon that gives you

administrator rights. Step 15. AGAIN-Go to control panel-system-Device manager-View and check -Show hidden devices. Something

new should show up under mice and other pointing devices- PS2 touch pad. Right click and read the device/drivers details, it

should say you need to reboot to activate the new drivers. Last Step- Reboot, unplugging the usb mouse you were no doubt

using, before windows starts and PRAY. Good Luck. Mine works now after 3 weeks of trying. I tried almost everything including

signing the old drivers using a 3rd party signing program. This is the only thing thats worked. Good Luck By the way, I used

to trust FileHippo downloads. Now several of their programs are installing **** that you don't want! Make sure you read the

agreement until the end or you will be signing away your bandwith to various advertisors in a very sneaky way. I have found

the "free" pdf programs to be especially dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom