trash can is too full

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by TALLY, Jul 29, 2010.

1. TALLY

TALLY New Member

I have sort of a weird problem. I was clearing out my Temp folder in my AppData folder and I kind of got carried away. Before I knew it, I had over 60,000 objects in my recycle bin. I have a decent computer with 4 GB of RAM, but every time I try to recycle, windows explorer freezes. Ive tried deleting the files by the 1000, but there has to be another way.

So, my question is, is there a way for me to delete all 60,000 files from my recycle bin at once?

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Have you tried right clicking the recycle bin and choosing "empty recycle bin"
    Hope there's nothing important in there.:)

3. TALLY

TALLY New Member

Yeah, my mouse just turns into the little waiting symbol and then an option to end process comes up.

4. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

You may be able to use some third party programs, which have as a part of their processes, cleaning the recycle bin.
    I believe Ccleaner as well as ATF cleaner by atribune, both will do this. There may be and probably are quite a few others.

5. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

If still no joy
    Click start orb, all programs, accessories, right click command prompt and choose run as administrator
    type cd\ and hit enter
    at the C:> prompt type rd /s c:\$recycle.bin and hit enter
    you should then be challenged with a "Are you sure <Y/N> type Y and hit enter
    you may have to reboot or refresh your desktop, I didn't but it won't hurt
    see if that helps

6. TALLY

TALLY New Member

For some reason command prompt isnt in my Accessories folder anymore and when I search for it, its not there. Do you know another place it might be?

Oh yeah, I accidentally deleted my Administrative Tools, so if it is in there, it is gone. BTW do you know where I can download my windows 7 admn tools again? I really dont want to use my bootdisk.

7. TALLY

TALLY New Member

LOL I cant believe I forgot how to bring up a command prompt. Its been a long day. Thanks a million for the help. :cool: