Tripped Over Cord While Booting, Will No Longer Boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by cdodds, Dec 12, 2010.

1. cdodds

cdodds New Member

I accidentaly tripped over my laptop cord while booting. The computer was not harmed, but the adapter unpluged from the laptop and the laptop lost power while booting.

Timeline of events:
    1) I tripped over the cord
    2) laptop lost power while booting up
    3) I pluged the laptop back in
    4) I pushed the power button
    5) Windows said it was loading...and then restarted its self while loading windows (it kept doing this in a loop)
    6) I manually restarted my laptop
    7) Windows said it was loading...and then restarted its self while loading windows (it kept doing this in a loop)
    8) I exited the loop by pressing F1 before the windows loading screen
    9) This took me to a screen where I could either choose which operating system I wanted to boot from, or press F8 for advanced options
    10) I pressed F8
    11) This took me to a screen with many options (repair windows 7, safe mode, debugging mode, boot with last known good configuration)
    12) I booted with last known good configuration
    13) This time windows loaded me to a black screen where I could see my mouse, but nothing else
    14) I restart my computer again and navigate back to the advanced boot options screen
    15) I choose, "repair windows 7"
    16) windows 7 repair loads
    17) I login to windows 7 repair
    18) I am given options, (startup repair, system restore, command prompt, system recovery image, memory check)
    19) I never made a system restore point, never made a system recovery image, and my windows 7 DVD which I bought over a year ago is now missing, so I choose "startup repaid"
    20) Startup repair runs for 5 hours till it finds an error and tell me it needs to restart to fix it
    21) My computer restarts, and windows 7 loads...taking me again to a black screen where I can see my mouse but nothing else
    22) I restart my computer and re-navigate back to "startup repair"
    23) Again I run startup repair
    24) Startup repair runs for 2 hours till it tells me that noting can be found wrong and it sends a messgae to microsoft, and tell me to restart my computer
    25) So, I restart my computer
    26) My computer restarts, and windows 7 loads...taking me again to a black screen where I can see my mouse but nothing else
    27) I restart my computer and re-navigate back to "startup repair"
    28) Again I run startup repair
    29) Startup repair runs for 2 min till it tells me that it is finished and can find nothing wrong (I try this several times with the same results)

What should I do?

The last time my computer was having this problem (same cause), it autostarted a disk check after restarting a few times, and that fixed it..., but I have no idea how to make it do one of those...(it just sort of happened on its own last time)

I already tried taking my computer in to tech support...and they told me that there was nothing I could do without buying an enitre new windows 7 DVD from them. I am kind of hoping that I do not have to do that though...because they are expensive as hell...and Christmas sort of has me tight on funds at the moment.

So..here I am, using a public hotel computer, asking for help from the Internetz. :-$

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Probably a good first start would be to boot back into the advanced boot options and select the command prompt option
    type
    chkdsk c: /r
    let it finish all 5 stages, probably going to take a while and don't expect miracles but it may very well help.
    Other than that some people have reported success in using one of these Windows 7 Recovery Discs.
    Hope this helps and keep us posted.
    Good Luck
    Randy

3. TorrentG

TorrentG Banned

Welcome.

First, remove any tv or external monitor connected if there is any.

Then boot to safe mode and run this command from a command prompt:

chkdsk /r

4. cdodds

cdodds New Member

30) Check disk found 3 bad files and fixed them.
    31) My computer restarts, and windows 7 loads...taking me again to a black screen where I can see my mouse but nothing else
    32) I restart my computer and re-navigate back to "startup repair"
    33) Again I run startup repair
    34) Startup repair runs for 1 min till it tells me that it is finished and can find nothing wrong (I try this several times with the same results)

I tried booting with the windows recovery CD that someone gave me a link to, but it was exactly like the repair tools that I was already using...and gave the exact same results. Thanks for the help everyone. It looks like I am stuck getting a new windows 7 DVD though. Unless, does anyone have anoter trick or two up their sleeves?