"troubleshoot compatibility" feature is not working

I have just taken delivery of a new laptop running Windows Home Premium 64 bit O/S. I have an old program that is absolutely essential (my accounts) and I have previously installed this using the "troubleshoot compatibility" option. When I right-click and select this option on the new machine ... nothing happens! I cannot get this option to work with ANY program.

If I double click on this program to install directly I get a message saying this prog is not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running.

So then I tried using Make older programs run in this version of Windows and selected XP SP1 as my preferred OS ... but when I press the "start the program" button - nothing happens.

I have done some searching online and it seems there is a Microsoft product that will install a virtual PC so I could run in XP mode, but that requires an upgrade in O/S to Win 7 Pro. I also found VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC and wondered if anybody had any experience of using this?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Adrian

Last edited:
BIZARRE ... after a reboot I was able to install this program OK. The right-click continues not to function, but using the route via Control Panel seems to fix it.

Sorry to trouble you.

I have just taken delivery of a new laptop running Windows Home Premium 64 bit O/S. I have an old program that is absolutely essential (my accounts) and I have previously installed this using the "troubleshoot compatibility" option. When I right-click and select this option on the new machine ... nothing happens! I cannot get this option to work with ANY program.

If I double click on this program to install directly I get a message saying this prog is not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running.

So then I tried using Make older programs run in this version of Windows and selected XP SP1 as my preferred OS ... but when I press the "start the program" button - nothing happens.

I have done some searching online and it seems there is a Microsoft product that will install a virtual PC so I could run in XP mode, but that requires an upgrade in O/S to Win 7 Pro. I also found VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC and wondered if anybody had any experience of using this?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Adrian

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.