Windows 7 True Crypt

True Crypt

Downloads

Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux

Main Features:

- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

- Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

- Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

- Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

- Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.

- Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.

- Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password

- Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.

- More information about the features of TrueCrypt may be found in the documentation.

In fact, it's very very simple: with True Crypt, you create an encrypted virtual drive (which consists of a file that can be deciphered with your password by True Crypt only) and then mount this file. In your system it appears as an extra hdd partition on which you can store data and install software. (To mount this drive you have to enter your password)

Step 1.

Download, install, and start True Crypt.

Step 2.

True Crypt program window -> Menus bar -> Volumes > Create New volume ..

Step 3.

Follow the instructions of True Crypt Volume Creation Wizard, I use defaults

Choose the name and location of your virtual file:

By default, I use AES encryption which is quite strong:

When specifying the size, check the appropriate box Kb, Mb, or Gb, and then enter a number next to it, e.g. 4 Gb or 4096 Mb:

Set a password for your volume :

Check mark if you're gonna be using files larger than 4 Gb:

You can choose which file system you want, I leave it NTFS, and click "Format":

Step 4.

Finally, select the drive letter and enter your password to mount the encrypted virtual file:

You'll get a hard drive partition at your disposal which can be accessed from your account until you unmount it, reboot, shutdown, log off, or turn the power off. All the changes to this drive will stay:

Encrypted virtual drive.jpg

Please note that True Crypt offers many more options and features than just described here. For more information and updates, visit:

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

TrueCrypt: Freeware Encryption Alternative to Microsoft BitLocker

TrueCrypt can be used to protect the data on hard drives installed within both laptops and workstations. As opposed to Microsoft BitLocker, it is entirely free.

Overview of TrueCrypt:

• Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
  • Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
  • Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
  • Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
  • Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
  • Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password.
  • Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.
  • Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: XTS.
Further information regarding features of the software may be found in the documentation attached to this forum post.

The 26-page installation guide and overview attachment requires Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader, or Microsoft XPS Viewer.

Attachments

• truecrypt.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,685
  • truecrypt.xps
    3.9 MB · Views: 704
Re: TrueCrypt: Freeware Encryption Alternative to Microsoft BitLocker

What many don't know about this software is that:

1) You can encrypt single files or single folders if you wish. Full volume encryption is not necessary for this.

2) You can choose any file on your system to be the actual key to unlock the encryption, instead of a password.

What many don't know about this software is that:

1) You can encrypt single files or single folders if you wish. Full volume encryption is not necessary for this.

2) You can choose any file on your system to be the actual key to unlock the encryption, instead of a password.

I've heard it's possible, but I never tried. It may be a little bit beyond the scope of these forums (I mean there are TrueCrypt forums to consult), but how do you encrypt a single file or folder on your real hdd?

I've heard it's possible, but I never tried. It may be a little bit beyond the scope of these forums (I mean there are TrueCrypt forums to consult), but how do you encrypt a single file or folder on your real hdd?

I wouldn't say it's beyond the scope, here. There are countless individuals, yourself included, that are very technical and appreciate the information. :)

I don't have this installed on my machines at the moment but used it extensively in the past. This may be of interest to read, based on a quick Google:

TrueCrypt Encryption

If that or other resources prove unhelpful, I don't think it would be very difficult for me to install and work out the details, so I can post exactly how to do so.

Oh, I see, and thank you for the link.

Please do not worry about installing and testing this software for me if you don't need it or don't have time at the moment. (Just to mention there's a portable version of it [I haven't tried the portable though])

Now or later, if you or someone else wishes to discuss this tool or to add something, please feel free. I started this thread because I was asked to show a "tutorial", so I did.

TorrentG said:
There are countless individuals, yourself included, that are very technical and appreciate the information.

Thank you very much, Chris. This is certainly more than I deserve, especially that You say it, but I will try. :) Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom