Windows 7 Trying to Install Win7 from Vista fails at Setup is Starting

blizzald

Hello.
I'm trying to install Win7, but my installation fails every time.
I tried both installing from the CD, or copying and mounting the image and then installing.
After it copies the temporary files and it goes into the "Starting the Setup..." phase, I get this error message that "Windows Installation and Setup has Stopped Responding" (might be Stopped Working, just doing some translation here)
It says a certain error has caused the program to stopped working properly and windows will have to shut it down.

I've no idea what to do, Google doesn't help much as it seems I'm theonly one in the world with this problem.

This is the pulled data from the Window Problem Solution Center:

Product
Windows Installation and Setup
Problem:
Stopped Working

Date:
18/03/2011 22:02
Event Signature
Name of Event Error: BEX
Application Name: setup.exe_Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Timestamp of the application: 4a5bc07e
Module Name: USER32.dll
Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Timestamp of the Module: 49e03825
Exception: 00078668
Exception Code: c0000409
Exception Data: 00000000
Version of the Boot Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1

Additional Information 1: 8575
Additional Information 2: c754f2a2f4ea55aad2671d571c89c27a
Additional Information 3: 07e3
Additional Information 4: 73a4ba319d89f9f99d6d1800b934965f

Additional Information about the problem
Bucket Identifier: 783586624

Could anyone help me please?

How exactly are you trying to install Win 7? From what version of Vista to what version of Win 7? Are you doing a clean install or an upgrade over Vista? Did you download and burn the DVD or is it retail?

If you have any external devices you might try unplugging them, and what type of video connection do you have?

How exactly are you trying to install Win 7? From what version of Vista to what version of Win 7? Are you doing a clean install or an upgrade over Vista? Did you download and burn the DVD or is it retail?

If you have any external devices you might try unplugging them, and what type of video connection do you have?

Sorry for the late response!

I am trying to do an upgrade from the most recent Vista Ultimate version SP2
I'm trying to upgrade to Win7 SP1 which I downloaded, and tried installing from both a burned image copy and a copy that is on my computer. My Video connection is Geforce 275 gtx
Not sure if I have any external devices... None that I know of.

I tried rebooting PC with MSCONFIG set to only the lowest option (default) + highest option (System Services) but the same problem yielded despite not having any program running in the background.
I don't even get to the upgrade option, see where I wrote it fails. It doesn't get through the Starting Setup... stage!

Oh, one more thing, when I disabled ALL msconfig start up options, (living just the lowest one ticked, which can't be unticked anyway) I could install, but it would not give me the Upgrade option (probably since Services were not enabled) but just let me choose a clean install for x86 or x64 Win7, and it did not give me the option to Customize or Upgrade! :\

Last edited:
Just to make sure I do not misunderstand, you downloaded Windows 7 and the Windows 7 SP1? I will assume then you can download a full Windows 7 install with SP1 already included.

If you have the correct install software, which would be a DVD, you might want to try downloading it again and burning at a slow speed, like 4x.

If you are installing over Vista, (running the install from within Vista), it is normally recommended to do a clean install of Windows 7 to keep any older drivers from interfering with the install.

Yes, the setup I downloaded has SP1 already included inside of it. The Checksum of the setup seemed to be fine, and I ran the installation as a mounted image....
There is no way I will do a clean install, since I have too many programs with too many settings on my vista, but alas, the problems I mentioned are still happening.

OK, so you did run the Win 7 compatibility checker, or whatever they call it on your current system, and did it give you any suggestions of any software that might need to be uninstalled?

Anti-virus programs have always been a roadblock.

Indeed, I did run the upgrade adviser, and it wrote I have 3 problems I have to take care of:
Reinstall itunes after the upgrade, Steam and Audacity. Besides that, it also said I'm ready to upgrade to Win7 at any time.

About Antivirus (or any other programs) I have NOD. I did try to run windows after disabling any startup programs (except for System Services), which means my Antivirus and any other programs were not running in the background...

Back
Top Bottom