Windows 7 Trying to link up to SBS 2011 on home network

sadjonvee

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place but just stuck looking for help...
I've got a home network with Homegroup working fine across three /four machines & printers
I've just installed a small test server and loaded Windows Small Business Server 2011 (SBS2011)
I've tried connecting to this server from two Win 7 pc's and having no joy. Also, cannot even see the server on my network from the pc's
If I try to use the sbs2011 connector software (as recommended) I enter Http://<server>/connect and get a software download from the server. This is supposed to make it easy to link the pc to the server and run backups and so-on.
However it fails and gives me an "unexpected error" after trying to log me in (I think).
I cannot see the server at all from the pcs other than by using remote desktop protocol - network search and network sharing both fail to see it.
I've removed my pcs from the homegroup in case that is the conflict but still no joy !
Has anyone else tried to do this and succeeded?
BTW, the server CAN see the other pcs on the network when it performs a network search.

any help or advice would be really appreciated.

thanks

Sad Jon

Make sure all the computers are on the same workgroup, and in a home environment, you should be using Windows Home Server 2011, which is literally exactly the same as SBS 2011, but has more features for a home network, such as HomeGroup support.

Back