Windows 7 Trying to merge 15GB unallocated space?

freshmeat30

Installed Windows 7 clean after a botched Ubuntu install. Wiped everything but there's still 15GB of unallocated space that I think is from an old recovery partition that I cannot associate with the 240GB (Primary partition) free space. How can I get rid of this extra 15GB?

Edit: Cannot do this with Win7 Disk Management, or freeware versions of EASEUS.

Last edited:
You should be able to do it with Easus but you must first move existing partitions so that the space you want to use is continuous with the drive into which you want to merge it. All such operations are potentially problemtic (tho usually ok) and you should back up any critical data before proceeding.

If I may add;

If the 15gb (1st partition?) is located before the Windows install (2nd partition?), I'm fairly certain the only way you're going to be able to merge, is if you wipe the entire drive and then install Windows again as if it were a new drive.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don

If I may add;

If the 15gb (1st partition?) is located before the Windows install (2nd partition?), I'm fairly certain the only way you're going to be able to merge, is if you wipe the entire drive and then install Windows again as if it were a new drive.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don

No this will not be necesary - it should be possible to do all the required partition management functions using easeus or a similar tool. The only requirement for merging the unused disk area with an existing partition is that they are contiguous which can be achieved by making the necessary partition moves as I described.

Before I tried that I would at least make a backup image in case of disaster. As Pat says, moving the leading edge of a partition, especially the system partition can be problematic.

Are there any other small partitions at the front of the space?

Back