TWO Networks...No Connectivity w/o tweaks...ALMOST Solved...!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by doxology, Aug 4, 2011.

1. doxology

doxology New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I had intermittant connectivity to the internet. I went thru 2 new PC's & 2 modems from verizon to no avail. I did all the ipconfig & DNS release & renew stuff, also to no avail.

When I had NO connectivity, the network icon in the task area was showing 2 Networks. When I rebooted (sometimes as many as 5 times)...& was finally connected, that icon showed only 1 Network.

Today, a smart verizon tech figured it out (but I still need some OS help). He walked me thru the deletion of my Public Network. When that occured, BOTH Networks were gone. Then we re-enabled
    the Home Network; & it worked...I was instantly able to get online.

BUT...when I rebooted, the same problem reoccured...TWO Networks again.

So he asked me what I did when I first powered up the computer, in the original Network Setup dialog. When he asked that question, I remembered that I DID in fact choose a Public Network. He said, ah-ha...I should have chosen the Home Network. He said that when I reboot, the machine looks for the Public Network, because of my original choice; & that it was being confused & combining the two...(which is also why both Networks disappear when I disabled only the Public Network).

So now...I'm really close to solving this problem...the only thing left to be done is to UNDO that original selection...please, HOW IS THIS ACCOMPLISHED...???

Windows 7 Pro

btw - I've already tried going to Network Sharing Center & redefining the network as Home, but that didn't work. somehow, I have to undo whatever setting is causing Win7 to look for the public network as default, get confused; & load both networks...thanx.
    #1 doxology, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011