Ubuntu

Okay so did you already start to create a virtual disk?
Looks like you did if its spitting out that error, did you accidentally hit something else?
I said hit the one that looks like a CD, not the one that looks like a stack.
The one that looks like a stack of CD's is not the one to hit when up to the settings screen.
If it spits out errors again I am willing to try to give you a more direct guide on installing ubuntu in virtualbox under windows.
I am on my linux partition but I am willing to boot into windows to cover all the steps for you.

Okay so did you already start to create a virtual disk?
Looks like you did if its spitting out that error, did you accidentally hit something else?
I said hit the one that looks like a CD, not the one that looks like a stack.
The one that looks like a stack of CD's is not the one to hit when up to the settings screen.
If it spits out errors again I am willing to try to give you a more direct guide on installing ubuntu in virtualbox under windows.
I am on my linux partition but I am willing to boot into windows to cover all the steps for you.

>>Ralph
I am writing to you from within Ubuntu using my hotmail account. I can also use the Google/Thunderbird account I have.
I have done guest additions and am looking around.
This is cool so far.
Do you use your regular anti virus etc to control Ubuntu or does it have its own?
How do you keep the top tabs like file, edit, view, history from disappearing?
Peter
Btw, thank you very much for all the help you have given me.
One last important question in this edit,"How do I turn off the video cam light which stays on the whole time?

Last edited:
Excellent, glad you got it working.
And no you dont need antivirus for Ubuntu. Ubuntu is 100% immune to windows viruses and even if you somehow download an infected file or something in virtualbox it will be isolated from windows.
As for the disappearing menus sadly there is not much I can do for you there, there was supposed to be a feature to turn the global menus in Ubuntu off but it never came to fruit before 12.04.
Luckily if you hold down the left alt key the menu will return as will hovering over the top panel.
Just remember you have to HOLD down the left alt key and not just press it as if you do the Ubuntu HUD will appear.
The HUD in Ubuntu is an alternate menu system that you type in a command (say activate preferences in Firefox).
Other things to note in Ubuntu:

The side bar in Ubuntu is called the Launcher, it is very similar to the Superbar in windows 7 where applications are represented by clickable icons, there is no traditional taskbar in Ubuntus interface called Unity.
To switch tasks in ubuntu if you have multiple windows open is to hit alt+tab and this will open a window selection tool.
The most important button is the one with the Ubuntu logo in it, this is called the Dash.
The Dash is Unity's answer to more traditional menus for both good and bad.
The dash has an array of icons at the bottom, first is the home icon, then there is the applications icon.
There is a whole slew of these icons so play around, we refer to these as "lenses"
If you want more direct access you can just right click the dash icon and many categories will come up.
Each section of the dash is searchable via the keyboard so if you know the name of the application you want to use (say calulator) just type in "calc" and the dash will find it.
Getting used to the dash is odd at first for a long time windows user but once you get the hang of it it will become easier.
Another thing to take note of is the Ubuntu software center that is represented by an icon that looks like this:
200px-Ubuntu_Software_Center_icon_v2.svg.png

Its the primary tool to install applications in Ubuntu, unlike windows where you install software via going to download.com or something and clicking on a .exe Software center offers a apple software style UI to install software.
Seems like Microsoft will do something similar with Windows 8

Another thing to note is that you cant move the close/maximize/minimize to their familiar places on your applications.
They are locked to the left side of the screen sadly but over time you will get used to it.

as for the video cam light issue you have, I have no idea. Might be something to do with virtualbox but I am unsure.

Last edited:
Ralph
I am a hunt and peck typer so you woud still be at it if you were me.
Thank you for the added information.

If I may;
The video cam light won't go out while in Ubuntu - is there a setting for that? A lot of Skypers would have the same issue I would think!
Peter

For your webcam I really dont know to be honest.
If you use skype I really cant say much as I dont use services like that.
If I had an answer i would give it to you, but I dont sadly.
Luckily you can get free support for Ubuntu here:
Ubuntu Forums
So they may be able to help in areas I cant.
Just tell them you are trying ubuntu out in virtualbox before you install the real thing, you dont have to be a Ubuntu user to get help over there just be honest that you dont want a full install of Ubuntu yet and they will understand.

I will go to the forum and Skype to see why the light stays on.
Thank you once again.
Peter

Not a problem.
I mean it can be a million things, remember ubuntu device support is good but not every piece of hardware will work properly or at all.
But thats the draw back to using a non Microsoft OS, even apple has some hardware issues that are not present in windows but that because most devices only have windows in mind.
Sure the team over at Ubuntu try to do the best job they can but in comparison the the resources Microsoft has its minimal.

Did you move your Ubuntu live image?
Thats why its giving you issues, if you trashed it then it makes sense if it doesnt run.
You see if you didnt install Ubuntu in virtualbox then it wont run without the ubuntu iso file.
What you were probably running the other day was probably ubuntu's live mode.
You see in Linux we have something called a live CD, a live CD is like a free test run of the OS before you install it (almost like trialware you see in windows, only without 30 day limitations) if you moved your ubuntu .iso image it simply will not run without the image unless you install it.
In your screenshots I noticed the Ubuntu 12.04 image on your desktop is gone, it was there the last time you posted a screenshot so if you moved it or deleted it then it wont work :D
If you selected "try ubuntu" in virtualbox then its no wonder why virtualbox is confused as it appears you didnt actually install ubuntu in viurtualbox.

Last edited:
When I click on the VM in the attachment it opens. i then click start on Ubuntu and it does.

In my control panel, under add remove programs, I see Virtual box but not Ubuntu.

Correct, it shouldnt as Ubuntu is not a program nor would windows recognize it anyway.
Again this is a virtual machine here, a entire OS that is contained inside its own space that you give it under virtualbox so the only way to get ubuntu running in windows is to use virtualbox.
Its not like its a normal program, if it was then windows might pick it up but once again its all virtual and self contained.
Makes sense when you know what a virtual install is, its not a program like IE or firefox.
I know its a little confusing, but thats just how this works.

Last edited:
I can live with a couple of warnings that offer the option to ignore.
I am not discouraged as i find Ubuntu interesting.
I have my Windows set up and printer as wireless. How do I set up a printer in Ubuntu?

That depends, again not my area of expertise as I dont use a printer.
Usually though Ubuntu is pretty fair at printer detection though there are a few brands that are not good with linux.
If you own an epson or HP printer you are in luck as most likely they will work as both brands have excellent linux compatibility.
Brands like Lexmark and cannon though, different story as both brands have zero to no linux support.
If you have a Dell printer it may work as even though dells are glorified lexmarks dell does offer drivers for linux.
Again ask around on the ubuntu forums

Back