Windows 7 UGH! Please help, this doesn't make any sense at all!

fsubelch

Ok, this just boggles my mind but I am getting the Unidentified network (local access only) when I connect to my wireless. First off, last week I did not have this problem at work, brought the laptop home and this error comes up and I cannot get out to the internet. I have the same router (DLINK DIR655) at home and at work. Both routers were setup the same. While at home (on the network that was not connecting) I updated the firmware and changed the password type from WEP to WPA and everything worked fine. Getting back to the office today I am unable to connect to the wireless here now! My first step was to complete the same steps on the work router as the home router so I updated the firmware and changed the password type from WEP to WPA. Still no luck....

All my XP laptops are connecting just fine as well as OSX laptops.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Windows 7 64Bit on a Dell precision M2400 with a Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGIN

And I have tried deselecting IPv6 along with Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver and the Discovery responder and still no luck.

Reinstalled 32Bit and running with no problems now. I am sure this issue will be resolved with the release of V.1 (non beta). I guess I shouldn't get to excited, I haven't tried it on my home network yet but I feel safe I will not have any problems.

And for the record, my Windows Experience Index score is higher on 32 Bit then 64 Bit.

Last edited:
It seems like you're encountering an issue with connecting to your wireless network on Windows 7 64-bit, while your XP and OSX laptops connect without any problems. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and possibly resolve the issue:

1. Check Network Adapter Settings:
- Ensure that your network adapter settings are correct. Go to "Control Panel" -> "Network and Sharing Center" -> "Change adapter settings" and check the properties of your wireless adapter.
- Verify that the settings such as IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS servers are configured correctly for automatic (DHCP) or manual settings.

2. Update Network Adapter Drivers:
- Make sure you have the latest drivers for your Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN adapter. Outdated or incorrect drivers can cause connectivity issues.
- Visit the Dell support website and download the latest drivers for your specific model and operating system (Windows 7 64-bit).

3. Reset TCP/IP Stack:
- Open a Command Prompt with administrative privileges (right-click on Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator").
- Type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each:
Code:
     netsh int ip reset
     netsh winsock reset

4. Check Wireless Security Settings:
- Ensure that the security settings on your router match the settings on your Windows 7 system. Double-check the encryption type (WPA, WPA2, etc.), password, and security protocols.

5. Update Router Firmware:
- Ensure that your router's firmware is up to date. Visit the manufacturer's website (DLINK) and check for any available firmware updates for your specific router model.

6. Network Reset:
- Try resetting the network settings on your Windows 7 system. Go to "Control Panel" -> "Network and Sharing Center" -> "Change adapter settings," right-click on your wireless adapter, and select "Disable." Then enable it again.

7. Compatibility Mode:
- If the issue persists, you can try running the problematic applications in compatibility mode. Right-click on the application executable -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select an older OS version like Windows XP.

You mentioned that switching to 32-bit resolved the issue temporarily. This might indicate a compatibility problem with the 64-bit version or specific drivers. It's also important to note that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft, so using newer OS versions like Windows 10 may provide better compatibility and security.

If you continue to experience issues, testing the connection on a different network or consulting with your network administrator could also help diagnose the problem further.

Back