Unable to connect to my wi-fi - no network access/limited access

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by Jo Toon, Nov 10, 2011.

  1. Jo Toon

    Jo Toon New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm really hoping someone can help because I am totally stumped.

    Last night I was on the internet at home absolutely fine and my laptop automatically downloaded an update, since then I have been unable to connect to my wi-fi. I deleted the updates and was still unable to connect, so I tried to used a system recovery restore point and every one I use starts but fails to complete.

    So, I did a factory reset after around 8 hours of trying to sort it out today and I STILL have the same problem. I can plug in the cable to connect and my housemate is having absolutely no issues connecting and neither is my phone so now I am at a total loss what I should do to resolve this. Prior to the factory reset I was able to connect to the wi-fi but it was stating no network access/limited access and now it simply won't connect to my internet at all. It finds my full strength signal but will not connect.

    My drivers for the Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n card are the most up to date and the laptop (HP G62) says it is working fine.

    Anyone have any ideas?? :confused:
     
  2. Ghazkhull

    Ghazkhull New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2011
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    I work Tier 3 tech support for a major cable company in the midwest. I run in to this issue on a daily basis with our home wireless network customers. What you're describing is your computer successfully connecting to your router, but the router is not connecting to the internet via your modem or MTA. The breakdown could be in the router, the modem, or the cable connecting them. In most cases, you just need to reset the network handshake between all the devices.
    This is what I have our customers do (and it almost always works):

    1) Make sure everything is connected correctly. Modem/MTA is connected to the incoming signal source (like the co-ax cable on a cable modem), ethernet cable is coming out of the modem via the correct port, and cable is going in to the router at the correct port.

    2) Once you're certain everything is connected correctly, unplug the POWER CABLE to the router. Make sure all lights are off. Leave this unplugged.

    3) Next, unplug the power cable to the modem/MTA. Also remove any backup battery if your modem/MTA has one. Leave this unplugged.

    4) While your router AND modem/MTA are unplugged and powerless, reboot your computer. (this will cause your computer to try and obtain an IP addy and connect to your network, but it won't be able to)

    5) Once your computer is FULLY booted and you are logged in to your desktop, plug the power cable to the ROUTER back in. (This will make the router attempt to get an IP from the modem/MTA, but it will fail. However, the computer will be able to join the network behind the router and gain it's IP config)

    6) One the router is FULLY booted, plug your modem/MTA back in and wait for it to fully boot up. (this will give the router its IP addy)

    Done in this order, each device will attempt to reach up to the next device in the hierarchy to get its IP config info, but it will be unable. As each component comes back up one by one, the handshake will be slowly renewed and your problem should be resolved.


    Hope this helps!


    Ghaz
     
  3. woowoo

    woowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1
    I recently had the same issue. Toshiba satellite m305-s4910 Windows 7. It ran thru quite a few updates and wireless "suddenly" had limited access. I searched nearly everything that Google would pull up and nothing worked. I could do a system restore and wireless worked fine, until it downloaded the updates again. After tryingeverything that was recommended online and nothing worked I had to put it down for a few days. One recommendation was to remove the antivirus software, which i did about a week ago, (AVG free). I started playing with it again and I figured mine out, literally took a whole minute to do. Uninstall your antivirus. Go to the start menu, type "ncpa.cpl", no quotes. Right click your wireless card, select properties. Look in the new window and where it says "this connection uses the following items:" look very closely at what's listed. I uninstalled my antivirus but I noticed in the window something was still in there from it, mine said "AVG network filter" or something to that effect. Since I uninstalled it anyway I figured I didn't need it so I removed it from the list. And "magically" my laptop wireless started working again. Of course you need to reinstall antivirus, I went from AVG free 2011 to AVG free 2012 and no problems so far. Hope this helps to solve your problem and all the others that have similar problems. Sorry for the poor formatting, I'm typing this from my phone lol.
     
    1 person likes this.

Share This Page

Loading...