Windows 7 unable to network win7 and xp

samee

hi i have a windows 7 professional machiene and also a windows xp sp3 machiene professional. i have created a work grould called "WORKGROUP" and all computers are in the same workgroup. and named each computer as the following windows 7 pc name "WINDOWS-7-PC" and the laptop as "XP-Toshiba-Lap" i can see my windows 7 pc in the windows 7 pc network place and i also can see my windows xp pro laptop there.

the problem is that i cannot access the laptop as it says windows cannot access \\xp-toshiba-laptop, check the spelling etc... below that is says network path not found.

i want to share folders and printer but am unable to. the internet is working fine without any problem.

i am using a netgear router wired, 1 pc with windows 7 (desktop) another pc toshiba with windows xp pro sp3 (laptop). is there anything which i may be doing wrong? please help as this is driving me crazy.

hi i have a windows 7 professional machiene and also a windows xp sp3 machiene professional. i have created a work grould called "WORKGROUP" and all computers are in the same workgroup. and named each computer as the following windows 7 pc name "WINDOWS-7-PC" and the laptop as "XP-Toshiba-Lap" i can see my windows 7 pc in the windows 7 pc network place and i also can see my windows xp pro laptop there.

the problem is that i cannot access the laptop as it says windows cannot access \\xp-toshiba-laptop, check the spelling etc... below that is says network path not found.

i want to share folders and printer but am unable to. the internet is working fine without any problem.

i am using a netgear router wired, 1 pc with windows 7 (desktop) another pc toshiba with windows xp pro sp3 (laptop). is there anything which i may be doing wrong? please help as this is driving me crazy.
Samee:
That particular error, especially if it was followed by Error Code: 0x80070035, is usually caused by some type of 3rd party firewall and or internet security suite, that is misinterpreting your attempts at file sharing as some sort of Internet Intrusion, take a look at the XP machine and see if has anything like this installed (you may have to uninstall them at least temporarily for testing), also take a look at the built in firewall on the XP machine and make sure that it is allowing file and printer sharing.

Last edited:
ok will try this and get back, currently i have comodo firewall, i turned it off but no luck, also i truned windows firewall off and no luck. this time i will uninstall comodo and get back with the results.

OK...but we're only talking about Win7 trying to access the XP machine correct? So we are only going to look at what's running on the XP machine.

mainly i want to connect a printer to the win7 machiene and share it, i would like to try files folders and drives both ways i.e on both machienes file sharing should be accessable. etc

hi i have a windows 7 professional machiene and also a windows xp sp3 machiene professional. i have created a work grould called \"WORKGROUP\" and all computers are in the same workgroup. and named each computer as the following windows 7 pc name \"WINDOWS-7-PC\" and the laptop as \"XP-Toshiba-Lap\" i can see my windows 7 pc in the windows 7 pc network place and i also can see my windows xp pro laptop there.

OK, perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but the line that I marked in RED from your original post, led me to believe that the problem that you wanted to address, was that you could see the xp laptop from the Win7 PC, but you were getting the error message that we discussed earlier. In the mean time read this (the second post by "johnwill") and make sure that you have done all he mentions http://www.techsupportforum.com/net...ort/182070-solved-network-path-not-found.html

i currently can see my xp machiene from my win 7 system but not see the win 7 machiene from my xp laptop. i uninstalled comodo from my laptop and tried accessing the pc via win 7 and no luck. will read the artical you pointed me to and let you know the results. thanks

On the windows XP machine, did you check the built in firewall, either set it to off for now or make sure that file and printer sharing is allowed. On the Win7 machine open the Network and Sharing Center and click change advanced sharing settings (see attachment) then make sure you have it setup like the second attachment

i uninstalled the firewall on my laptop and tried a ping and it was replying/detecting my win 7 machiene. i then tried to ping the win7 pc to the laptop and was unable to, uninstalled comodo firewall and connection was established and file sharing worked such as printers etc,

i reinstalled comodo on the laptop and i am faced with a critical problem, i cannot access the internet wirelessly or if the network is wired. the wireless connects but am unable to access the internet, when the laptop is wired i cannot seem to get an ip address and a yellow triangle appears, i have tried reparing the network adapter and also pinging, and it all fails, my antivirus also does not get enabled which is Avira, and the pc is very slow,

i have scanned the system with spybot search and destroy and nothing is detected. any ideas?

"i reinstalled comodo on the laptop and i am faced with a critical problem, i cannot access the internet wirelessly or if the network is wired. the wireless connects but am unable to access the internet, when the laptop is wired i cannot seem to get an ip address and a yellow triangle appears, i have tried reparing the network adapter and also pinging, and it all fails, my antivirus also does not get enabled which is Avira, and the pc is very slow,"
From this statement, I would surmise that the Comodo Firewall is going to require some tweaking by you to support and allow/permit all your network activites again. If you uninstall it again will your laptop connect OK?

yeh i uninstall it and network access was working fine on the laptop installed it just now and yellow triangle appearing.
from the win 7 pc it requests passwords for the win7 pc and also for xp laptop, i enter the username and password and it is saying my username and password are incorrect, but i did not create a username and password in the win 7 network sharing place, any ideas how i can resolve the firewall issue?

yeh i uninstall it and network access was working fine on the laptop installed it just now and yellow triangle appearing.
from the win 7 pc it requests passwords for the win7 pc and also for xp laptop, i enter the username and password and it is saying my username and password are incorrect, but i did not create a username and password in the win 7 network sharing place, any ideas how i can resolve the firewall issue?
Samee:
Sorry, I seem to be getting more confused and because of that I'm affraid that I may be confusing you, we seem to have a problem developing a flow to our troubleshooting steps. This is a Windows 7 Networking Forum. If your network works fine with the Comodo product uninstalled, then I would guess that your problem is actually a "Third Party Software" issue. Not sure whether your using the paid version or the free version of Comodo, but you can either check our Windows 7 Software forum and perhaps they may have someone who has had a similar problem here Link Removed due to 404 Error or perhaps check here Firewall and AntiVirus Free Software Download from Comodo and use there "Live Expert Help" to see if they can assist you. Again, sorry, if it was an OS firewall issue, I could perhaps help you resolve the problem, but there are so many third party products out there I can't keep up on all of them, but we may have some Comodo experts here somewhere who can be more succinct in addressing your particular issue.

Last edited:
Back