Windows 7 Unable to Reenable Aero Glass

Glexn

Hello, fine Windows 7 sages. Been a while since I was here, and I hope you're all doing well.

My issue comes from negligence on my part. I tried to use the Remove Blur tool, to make things behind the transparent windows appear clear, and I have the retail version of Windows. I used it on the RTM, and it was fine, so I went at it. The advice in the readme said if it didn't work, I should replace dwm.exe and udwm.dll, so I went. I thought I backed up the files, but apparently not. I found a thread that advised replacing dwmredir.dll would solve the problem, but it did not. Anyway, I found out the no blur doesn't work at all with on version 7600. I tried finding a place to download the original files, but I had no luck there. I checked my Windows disc, no joy there, either. So I deleted those files and then ran "sfc /scannow" to get the originals back, and it worked. After a reboot, the files were back. However, I still can't get any Aero themes to work. The CBS log says "Cannot repair member file". The Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service is running, and starts without an error message (unlike after I first replaced the files). I checked the Performance Options, under Advance System Settings and turned everything off then on again, and still nothing. I even reran the Windows Experience Index, just in case.

When the problem first started, the Personalise page offered to troubleshoot the issue (and reported that Desktop Window Manager Session Manager was not running, though it was), and the Colours button said "Basic". Now, the icon appears as if Aero is enabled. Indeed, the computer seems think that it is. Anyone have any ideas? I'll bake a cake for anyone who can save me from my own recklessness. =]

Back