Windows 7 Unable to save into hard-drive.

Jemorrisonva

I have tried to backup my quicken data into one of my two internal harddrives. Windows 7 will not allow me to save to this drive--drive "D". Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Hello, Jemorrisonva, welcome to the Windows 7 forums.
What exactly does Windows tell you when you try to move the files to your internal hard drives?

First. Thanks for your help. The message I get is: "Unable to access the disk in drive D:. Please make sure the drive is ready and the disk is not write-protected. If backing up to a CD, make sure the disk is not full." Thanks for your assistance.

Correct. Within Quicken, you chose the backup function and then must chose your backup location. The disk I am having difficulty with is called "Local Disk (D) under the "Hard Disk Drives" within the "Computer" section selected from the listing that comes up when the "Start" button is selected.

OK, try running this backup application you're using as an adminisrator (right click on the program and select "Run as administrator" Click "Yes" on the security prompt.

Just to make this more convenient:
Right click on the program go to "properties" and then to the "compatibility" tab and check off the box that says "run this program as an administrator"
Windows will automatically run the program as administrator from then on.
Glad I've been of assistance,
if you don't mind, please add to my rep.

I would be happy to "add to my rep."--just let me know how to do it. Also I am having two other nagging issues if you have time. I could add them as new entries if you think that is needed. Briefly, I just Friday bought Windows 7 Professional 64 to upgrade from Vista 32. I have an external hard drive connected to a D-Link router that I was able to save to using Vista. Under Windows 7, I can only "see" and use this hard drive when connected directly to the computer and I cannot 'see" it when connected to the router. Secondly, yesterday I downloaded from Microsoft the Beta version of Windows Office 2010. It worked OK yesterday. However, today when I try to use "Microsoft Word", I get the following from the "Click-to-Run Application Manager: Microsoft Word 2010 (Beta) cannot be opened. Try again or repair the product in Control Panel." One additional point, I had to download the Beta for Office twice. I had a "crash", and used windows restore fuction to get things back and the restore point was prior to the first beta download. I do not know if this matters. Thanks again for your help!!

Hi

I have been having the same problem which has been frustrating me for long enough! So thanks very much indeed for the solution. :p

Back