Windows 10 undelete files

sinan

Hi.

In earlier windows versions, If I remember correct, I could restore deleted files easy, In recent editions I could not find it anymore, I have bought recuva, It works just fine but it took hours to scan, most time I need to recover single file only and do not need to wait hour(s) to get result even if I narrow search for single folder.

Please let me know if recover (restore) deleted files is still working in win 10.

Thanks and regards.

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
You can setup File History, but that requires another drive or network share to backup files to. I wouldn't have purchased recuva as there are better freely available tools such as testdisk and GetDataBack to name a few. Also yes it takes a long time to locate the files because when you delete a file you are simply deleting the MFT entry that points to the data so it has to scan the entire disk because there is no longer a reference to the file. It's scanning for file meta data which can be anywhere on the disk partition.

sinan

Thank you very much for detailed helping information.

You can setup File History, but that requires another drive or network share to backup files to. I wouldn't have purchased recuva as there are better freely available tools such as testdisk and GetDataBack to name a few. Also yes it takes a long time to locate the files because when you delete a file you are simply deleting the MFT entry that points to the data so it has to scan the entire disk because there is no longer a reference to the file. It's scanning for file meta data which can be anywhere on the disk partition.

Nice thread! I should say, there is a very useful piece of information here! Personally I usually use Disk Drill in order to undelete files. If you want to find out more about it, I can recommend to take a look at How to Restore Deleted Files and Undelete data on Windows . It is easy to work with it, and scan doesn't take much time. But it has to be noted, if you delete or lost more than 500 MB of data, you will have to choose a paid version of this software. But in general, I like it and haven't had any issues using it yet. I hope, it will be helpful for someone!

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
I prefer testdisk. It's 100% free and works on Windows, Linux and Mac

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.