Windows 10 Unhandled Exception

rochana

Honorable Member
How can I remove the Unhandled Exception... notice that I see when I log on - and what does it mean? I have Windows 10 with Chrome browser.

Thank you

One of your recently installed apps or programs has an internal error that was not handled by the programmer in the code. This means that the program doesn't know what to do when the error occurs and it can not show to the user any explanation message, because it was not programmed to. You have to recall when this error message started to show and what did you install right before that. It might be also due to a windows update.
Why have you specified that you are using Chrome? The error shows when Chrome starts?

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your response. I am a not particularly tech savvy 86 year old analog human transitioning into this digital world one smart person like you at a time. - I have no idea what program installation may have resulted in said problem or when it may have been installed. If, as you suggest, the problem may be due to a windows 10 update, could it possibly be resolved by the next such update? - I only mentioned Chrome thinking that it might be relevant to the problem; I see the error box (please see attachment) when I click on websites or files. - Is there any other possible solution? Again, thank you for taking the time to help. Rochana

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
Thank you for your response. I am a not particularly tech savvy 86 year old analog human transitioning into this digital world one smart person like you at a time. - I have no idea what program installation may have resulted in said problem or when it may have been installed. If, as you suggest, the problem may be due to a windows 10 update, could it possibly be resolved by the next such update? - I only mentioned Chrome thinking that it might be relevant to the problem; I see the error box (please see attachment) when I click on websites or files. - Is there any other possible solution? Again, thank you for taking the time to help. Rochana
Don't worry about your age, there are much younger than you that are not even able to describe the problem. I appreciate people that are willing to learn new things, instead of raising their hands and giving up.
If a windows update caused the problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that the update is the problem, so the next update could or could not solve it. "I see the error box (please see attachment) when I click on websites or files", what do you mean by that? The error box is shown when you click on a shortcut on your desktop? The shortcut can be a link to a website or a link to a file (text, word, excel, etc.) or a link to a program installed on your computer. When you click on a link to a website, the Chrome browser opens. When you click on a file link, the associated program will open (for ex. a text editor, Word, Excel or the corresponding Open Office program). When you click on a link to a program on your computer, then the program will open. This means that the error message could be the result of different causes. This might be difficult to find, especially using a chat. And what happens after you click OK on the error box message? Does the website or file open as usual? Could you take a screenshot of the error message for every possible case that generates this error and let me know, for every screenshot, what did you click on? I do not promise that I'll be able to solve your problem, but I can try.
It would be helpful also if you could do the following:
1. press Ctrl + Alt + Delete buttons at the same time
2. in the shown menu, press "Task Manager"
3. in the Task Manager window, on the left bottom corner, press on "More details"
4. press on the little square found on the right top corner, on the left of the X button, to maximize the window
5. on the left top side of the window, under the menu (File, Options, View), you will see 7 tabs, press on the one called "Startup"
6. take one or more screenshots of the startup programs list (more screenshots will be needed if the list is longer than the screen can show, so you'll have to scroll down and take a new screenshot until you'll reach the list's end, but I think that you won't need more than 2 screenshots)
7. post here all the screenshots

Perhaps this information is relevant: I have created many text files using OpenOffice (because it's free) and have moved shortcuts of a number of them to my desktop. I also have a long list of websites bookmarked (financial, email, health portals, Youtube for movies, etc. - I have cut the cable; just have internet WIFI). I think that I get the error box when I open file or website, but not always. However, my access to either is not affected; I just close the error box and nothing happens, so perhaps its appearance is just an irritation without having a detrimental effect - what do you think?

I followed your instructions above re: taking screen shot(s) of the list of programs (16 of them), but I was unable to take the necessary two such shots, so I took a photo of same for attachment, but an attachment is not an option with this reply. Again, thank you.

Perhaps this information is relevant: I have created many text files using OpenOffice (because it's free) and have moved shortcuts of a number of them to my desktop. I also have a long list of websites bookmarked (financial, email, health portals, Youtube for movies, etc. - I have cut the cable; just have internet WIFI). I think that I get the error box when I open file or website, but not always. However, my access to either is not affected; I just close the error box and nothing happens, so perhaps its appearance is just an irritation without having a detrimental effect - what do you think?

I followed your instructions above re: taking screen shot(s) of the list of programs (16 of them), but I was unable to take the necessary two such shots, so I took a photo of same for attachment. Again, thank you.

Attachments

• PHOTO OF PROGRAMS.pdf
    759 KB · Views: 44
I have created many text files using OpenOffice (because it's free) and have moved shortcuts of a number of them to my desktop.

What do you mean by "moved"? If I understand correctly, you created shortcuts to your files on your desktop. There is nothing wrong with that. But if you moved the shortcuts themselves from one computer to another, then this could be a problem.
Where do you save your OpenOffice files, on your computer hard drive or on a cloud (like Google Drive or Dropbox or Microsoft OneDrive or something else)?

I think that I get the error box when I open file or website, but not always.

Not always? If you try opening one of your files from the shortcut on your desktop, three times in a row, you do not get the error message every single time? Please try to do this and let me know what you got. After the file is opened by double-clicking its shortcut, close it, wait a few seconds and repeat the procedure. Let me know if you got the error every time (try at least three times).

However, my access to either is not affected; I just close the error box and nothing happens, so perhaps its appearance is just an irritation without having a detrimental effect - what do you think?

You can be sure that the error does not and will not have any detrimental effect on your files or shortcuts, it is just annoying.

I followed your instructions above re: taking screen shot(s) of the list of programs (16 of them), but I was unable to take the necessary two such shots, so I took a photo of same for attachment. Again, thank you.

The one screenshot you took is perfect and enough. I do not see any suspect program on your startup list, so this is not the problem.

"Could you take a screenshot of the error message for every possible case that generates this error and let me know, for every screenshot, what did you click on?" The reason I asked you to do this was to understand if the error message is the same every single time, that is if the number shown on the message box is always the same. So, if you see that the number is always the same, then I won't need the screenshots.

After further trials powering my laptop off, by either shutting down or restarting option, the error box only appears once with the first website or file (shortcut or not) I open; the error message, Unhandled Exception..., is always the same (as shown on the screenshot I sent you) and does not show again by opening any item until I power off and restart my laptop. - Thank you for sticking with me to solve this apparently annoying but otherwise benign problem. I appreciate your assurance that it has no detrimental affect, and I am fully aware that, to quote Bogart, it "Doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world." Nevertheless, thank you for your generous help.

You are very welcome! The error will probably disappear in the near future, after further windows and chrome updates.
It was my pleasure to help, even so I didn't fix anything.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Your assurance that it is nothing more than an annoyance and will probably disappear spontaneously with updates was sufficient; it's your helpful spirit that I appreciate the most.

Back