Windows 7 Unidentified network

SirCrocodile

Extraordinary Member
I had a perfectly fine internet connection on my new Inspiron, but when I came back from work, Windows 7 said it only saw an unidentified network (public), meaning I have no internet. My ipconfig/all log is in the attachment. How do I solve this problem?
Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 829
I had a perfectly fine internet connection on my new Inspiron, but when I came back from work, Windows 7 said it only saw an unidentified network (public), meaning I have no internet. My ipconfig/all log is in the attachment. How do I solve this problem?
Thanks
SirCrocodile:
Hello and welcome to the forums. First you might try typing ncpa.cpl into the search box or run dialog box and hit enter. In the resultant page, select and then right click on your wireless adapter and choose properties. Uncheck the box next to IPv6 and click ok and close. Next at a command prompt type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew and see if that changes your IPv4 information in ipconfig /all
You do not seem to be receiving ip addressing information from whatever is providing it on your network,(probably your wireless router) as long as you adapter does not have a default gateway Win7 will always see it as unidentified. You can also manually assign static information into the properties of IPv4 to get around this and if you need help doing that just post back here.

SirCrocodile:
Hello and welcome to the forums. First you might try typing ncpa.cpl into the search box or run dialog box and hit enter. In the resultant page, select and then right click on your wireless adapter and choose properties. Uncheck the box next to IPv6 and click ok and close. Next at a command prompt type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew and see if that changes your IPv4 information in ipconfig /all
You do not seem to be receiving ip addressing information from whatever is providing it on your network,(probably your wireless router) as long as you adapter does not have a default gateway Win7 will always see it as unidentified. You can also manually assign static information into the properties of IPv4 to get around this and if you need help doing that just post back here.

Well, originally I was using a static IP. While trying to find the problem to my dead internet, I was looking on the web, and made it look for ip itself. Dunno if the ipconfig/all i provided was done while the static ip was on or not. I can provide you an ipconfig/all while I am sure my static IP is on.
Anyways, I made sure I wasn't using my static IP (because I assume you thought I wasn't) unchecked IPv6, and typed ipconfig/release. The catch is, it says it can't do it. Something with "media are disconnected". Same for ipconfig/renew.

Well, originally I was using a static IP. While trying to find the problem to my dead internet, I was looking on the web, and made it look for ip itself. Dunno if the ipconfig/all i provided was done while the static ip was on or not. I can provide you an ipconfig/all while I am sure my static IP is on.
Anyways, I made sure I wasn't using my static IP (because I assume you thought I wasn't) unchecked IPv6, and typed ipconfig/release. The catch is, it says it can't do it. Something with "media are disconnected". Same for ipconfig/renew.
OK, that's kinda strange, but please try typing ncpa.cpl into the search box again and select and then right click on the "WIRED" (probably says something like "local area connection") adapter and choose disable. Then do the same thing on the wireless only disable and then enable, leave the other disabled. Then try the release and renew again. I'd be more interested in seeing an ipconfig /all from the computer you are typing on right now, assuming of course that it's on the same network, connecting to the same device (router)

OK, that's kinda strange, but please try typing ncpa.cpl into the search box again and select and then right click on the "WIRED" (probably says something like "local area connection") adapter and choose disable. Then do the same thing on the wireless only disable and then enable, leave the other disabled. Then try the release and renew again. I'd be more interested in seeing an ipconfig /all from the computer you are typing on right now, assuming of course that it's on the same network, connecting to the same device (router)
In the attachment is this computer's ipconfig/all, but, it is connected to the router directly. I cannot provide the ipconfig/all of another computer that connects to the router right now (well, I can try).
Release and renew still don't work. For your convenience I copy pasted the message it says when I type them;
Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The sy
stem cannot find the file specified.

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 696
In the attachment is this computer's ipconfig/all, but, it is connected to the router directly. I cannot provide the ipconfig/all of another computer that connects to the router right now (well, I can try).
Release and renew still don't work. For your convenience I copy pasted the message it says when I type them;
Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The sy
stem cannot find the file specified.

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation.
OK, that's even a bit stranger. That typically happens if the adapter has been disabled or is not installed properly in device manager. You might try checking device manager and even uninstall the wireless adapter and reboot and see if that resolves it. Also double check services.msc just type that into the search dialog box and make sure that the DHCP client service is running and set to automatic as well as the DNS client service.

OK, that's even a bit stranger. That typically happens if the adapter has been disabled or is not installed properly in device manager. You might try checking device manager and even uninstall the wireless adapter and reboot and see if that resolves it. Also double check services.msc just type that into the search dialog box and make sure that the DHCP client service is running and set to automatic as well as the DNS client service.
Adapter says that it is properly installed in Device Manager. I am a bit against uninstalling it - would I have to retype all information I gave it? Or was that only the password to the network?
Checked services.msc. Both DHCP client service and DNS client service are running, and set to automatic.

Adapter says that it is properly installed in Device Manager. I am a bit against uninstalling it - would I have to retype all information I gave it? Or was that only the password to the network?
Checked services.msc. Both DHCP client service and DNS client service are running, and set to automatic.
I'm not sure what information you may have given it, I suspect that it was just the router encryption key, so provided you remember that it shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried the old but usually reliable, network reboot. Shut down your computer, deprive the router of electricity (unplug or turn it off), same with ISP provided device. Wait a couple minutes, plug in the ISP's device wait till it's set with all appropriate lights (usually green and steady) then your router again wait till it finishes and is steady and then your computer. Again type ncpa.cpl in search box hit enter, select then right click on the wireless adapter make sure that it is enabled (also if this is a laptop, make sure that the radio is turned on usually a combo of FN keys or a dedicated hardware key) choose status and then the details button and see what information is there.

I'm not sure what information you may have given it, I suspect that it was just the router encryption key, so provided you remember that it shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried the old but usually reliable, network reboot. Shut down your computer, deprive the router of electricity (unplug or turn it off), same with ISP provided device. Wait a couple minutes, plug in the ISP's device wait till it's set with all appropriate lights (usually green and steady) then your router again wait till it finishes and is steady and then your computer. Again type ncpa.cpl in search box hit enter, select then right click on the wireless adapter make sure that it is enabled (also if this is a laptop, make sure that the radio is turned on usually a combo of FN keys or a dedicated hardware key) choose status and then the details button and see what information is there.

The system reboot seems to have done it. :razz: Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom