Windows 7 Unidentified network

Uzair Ansari

It's been around 3 weeks I an unable to use internet on my new laptop.The problem started when i reseted my router.Now my WiFi just finds all the available networks in the area but i cannot connect any network at all.When i click on the network and provide the password , it says UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK
No Internet Access
I also tried connecting through my ethernet cable but no luck,and it's not even pinging my home router or anyone else.Please someone solve this problem of mine.

Uzair Ansari;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Begin by first removing any and all third party anti-virus / internet security suites as well as any third party firewall products. You may also need to run the vendor specific removal tool to completely eliminate any remnants of the product. There are some links to these here http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/50402-removal-tools-antivirus-software-drivers.html, otherwise just google for your product's removal tool or uninstall utitility. Also if you have any third party network management software installed remove it as well.

You can alway reinstall these products after your problem is resolved.
Use safemode with networking to double check and see if you can connect both wired and wireless.
Keep us posted.

All I have installed is Microsoft security essentials and default Mcfee antivirus .And i guess the windows firewall is turned off in my laptop which i didn't do myself.I have seen related post too and did try the ways written their.I updated the Wifi driver and changed the ethernet cable.But no luck..

Use the control panel "Programs and Features" applet to uninstall McAfee and reboot.
Then use the link I provided above to the McAfee removal tool and run that to remove any remnants that may still exist on your system and reboot again.
Further it's important to consider any and all previous third party products like Norton's/Symantec, AVG, Comodo, ZoneAlarm, etc. that may have been installed on your computer either by you or the manufacturer. There may be bits and pieces (remnants) of these products left over from an incomplete uninstall which can cause similar problems and you may need to run their respective proprietary vendor specific removal tool in order to remove all left over pieces.
I'm kind of suprised that you were able to install and run MSE while McAfee is still present on your system and generally speaking it's not considered a good idea to run two antivirus products simultaneously.
After following the suggestions above.
Open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
copy and paste the results into your next post
use this information to ping yourself and other network nodes
again from a command prompt
type
ping
and then a space
and then
localhost
hit enter
and then
hit enter
and then
192.168.1.1 (where 192.168.1.1 is the actual IPv4 address of your default gateway as indicated by the ipconfig /all command suggested above)
and then
64.233.169.99 (all ping commands must be preceeded by the word "ping" followed by a space followed by the IPv4 address or hostname)
Let us know the results.

That's great news, glad to hear it. Believe me I have spent many hours chasing my tail on this forum and elsewhere trying to determine solutions for such problems and a good percentage of the time it is third party software (antivirus/security suites, firewalls like Comodo or ZoneAlarm, of network management software from various vendors (hardware manufacturers or software products). And even when they are apparently uninstalled often some small piece is left that causes these types of issue, I will always remember a similar issue when Windows 7 had just been release to manufactuer, a friend was having a similar problem and there was nothing installed on his computer that was an evident potential cause. He mentioned that he had installed and removed AVG and just as a shot in the dark I ran their vendor specific uninstaller and BAM, his problem was cured. Sometimes it's hard to convince people to uninstall these programs but it is generally worth the effort.
Anyway, thanks for the follow-up and posting back and updating your thread with your solution. Glad you were able to resolve it.
Best Wishes
Randy

Also just as a further follow-up. You mentioned in one of your posts above that you suspected that the Windows Firewall was turned off. Please be sure to turn it back on. It shouldn't cause any problems with your network and if it does please follow up and we'll look further into the issue.

I would like to thank you so very much for your help Mr.Randy.That Mcafee was like a pain in the neck.As soon as i removed it all of a sudden everything went fine.And yup removal of McAfee also turn the firewall on itself.LOL.After reading your last post i checked it and it was on.I am so happy to use internet on my laptop after weeks.And i have updated the MSE for my system's protection.
Once again man.THANKS ALOT

Regards,
Uzair Ansari

Back