Windows Vista uninstalling programs

Griz

Hello everyone, yesterday, I was exploring the properties for the notification area in Vista Home Premium. Within the "Hide Inactive Icons / Customize area, I found a list of hidden icons. All is well however i noticed there were hidden icons from programs I had long since "uninstalled". I began to wonder first how to remove these from this list and more importantly, when i do uninstall a program, how do i "know" it is completely uninstalled? Appreciate any thoughts offered.

Thank-you Celestra for replying. Yes, I did do some research prior to bothering this forum with my question. I think most of us understand how to uninstall programs from Windows. What I found about the icons (notification area) icons is that they may be able to be removed by following several links in the registry to a position there, that Vista seems to differ from XP. However again I'm curious how these icons can remain after an uninstal (some of these programs) even came with their own uninstal where control panel version wasn't necessary. This makes me wonder if these icons remain how much other (crap) remains following an uninstal and is it possible to truely totally uninstal programs from Vista.

Thank-you Celestra for replying. Yes, I did do some research prior to bothering this forum with my question. I think most of us understand how to uninstall programs from Windows. What I found about the icons (notification area) icons is that they may be able to be removed by following several links in the registry to a position there, that Vista seems to differ from XP. However again I'm curious how these icons can remain after an uninstal (some of these programs) even came with their own uninstal where control panel version wasn't necessary. This makes me wonder if these icons remain how much other (crap) remains following an uninstal and is it possible to truely totally uninstal programs from Vista.

Aha! You can try a registry edit if you want to. It is complicated and requires a little study. You should back-up your registry before you begin, in case you make a mistake. Very big programs have lots of little notes, gizmo's and side programs- security programs a the worst offenders. Usually they offer a clean up tool. (They do make programs that you can install- to help remove your programs, if it bothers you. Several are mentioned in these links.) There is such a thing as a ghost icon- they talk about it here in this forum. http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-management/177142-gah-cant-delete-stupid-desktop-icon-help-2.html

Aha! You can try a registry edit if you want to. It is complicated and requires a little study. You should back-up your registry before you begin, in case you make a mistake. Very big programs have lots of little notes, gizmo's and side programs- security programs a the worst offenders. Usually they offer a clean up tool. (They do make programs that you can install- to help remove your programs, if it bothers you. Several are mentioned in these links.) There is such a thing as a ghost icon- they talk about it here in this forum. Gah!! cant delete stupid desktop icon?? help?? - Page 2 - Vista Forums

Interesting forum thread on that "Ghost Icon" issue. Hope I never run into that one. It is not really what I'm interested in here though. If you open the properties for the task bar and select the notification area tab, tick the "hide inactive icons" box and select, customize, you will see a list of notification area icons. These will remain hidden if that option is selected you can customize them by selecting each icon and choosing which to show and which to hide when inactive. The thing is in this list is every icon ever, that has installed a notification area icon even if that program no longer exists on the computer. My icons are behaving "normally" and I only allow 3 or 4 to be seen I'm just curious why windows needs to keep this useless information. Thanks again Celestra, for the interesting reading.

Interesting forum thread on that \"Ghost Icon\" issue. Hope I never run into that one. It is not really what I'm interested in here though. If you open the properties for the task bar and select the notification area tab, tick the \"hide inactive icons\" box and select, customize, you will see a list of notification area icons. These will remain hidden if that option is selected you can customize them by selecting each icon and choosing which to show and which to hide when inactive. The thing is in this list is every icon ever, that has installed a notification area icon even if that program no longer exists on the computer. My icons are behaving \"normally\" and I only allow 3 or 4 to be seen I'm just curious why windows needs to keep this useless information. Thanks again Celestra, for the interesting reading.

Well, I can't answer why Vista holds on to past program icons in the system tray, but I do know what can get rid of them. You'll have to use a product called "Past Icon Flusher" by Ra Products. Link Removed - Invalid URL ( I stopped toying with the idea of customization after SP1- to many problems) :cool: ---it's a Java Problem---

Well, I can't answer why Vista holds on to past program icons in the system tray, but I do know what can get rid of them. You'll have to use a product called \"Past Icon Flusher\" by Ra Products. RaProducts - Products ( I stopped toying with the idea of customization after SP1- to many problems) :cool: ---it's a Java Problem---

Celestra, thanks again for steering me into some interesting reading. You know this reminds me of the Mac OSX section here where you also made a post "Which is Better" question, by another user. There is a difference, in OSX to delete a program you drag it to the trash from the application folder. Your next step would be run a Finder search for remnants where you'll find the program's "plist" (preference list), drag that and you're done. No muss no fuss. Ty Celestra for helping.

Hi Griz,

I saw this and thought it may be of some help??

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Celestra, thanks again for steering me into some interesting reading. You know this reminds me of the Mac OSX section here where you also made a post "Which is Better" question, by another user. There is a difference, in OSX to delete a program you drag it to the trash from the application folder. Your next step would be run a Finder search for remnants where you'll find the program's "plist" (preference list), drag that and you're done. No muss no fuss. Ty Celestra for helping.
I have a performance program installed in my computer, it looks for "Junk" among st other functions. I've noticed a better on that topic. (I've had ghost icons- usually old games I've un-installed)

Back