Windows 7 Unknown network

bamccluskey

I have Comcast home networking installed. I have a netgear (rangemax)router with my pc connected to it and a wireless laptop connected to it also. I also have a cable that goes from the router to a 8 port hub so I can feed the rest of the house. The problem is that the laptop pc will not connect via lan to this network. I have a work laptop connected throught the hub and a ps3 connected to the hub. The work box and ps3 have no problems getting to the internet via the hub i have them attached to (on the router page they are listed as unknown device). The work pc has winXP pro and the home laptop has Windows 7 32bit. How can I get it to connect to the hub for internet?

Your question is not very clear, difficult to get an understanding of your setup... What is actually failing? The wifi from your home laptop? Can it go wired? If so why can't you plug it to your hub?

I have Comcast home networking installed. I have a netgear (rangemax)router with my pc connected to it and a wireless laptop connected to it also. I also have a cable that goes from the router to a 8 port hub so I can feed the rest of the house. The problem is that the laptop pc will not connect via lan to this network. I have a work laptop connected throught the hub and a ps3 connected to the hub. The work box and ps3 have no problems getting to the internet via the hub i have them attached to (on the router page they are listed as unknown device). The work pc has winXP pro and the home laptop has Windows 7 32bit. How can I get it to connect to the hub for internet?

I have a very similar configuration with the exception that I'm not using a NetGear router, although if the laptop connects fine wirelessly, then I wouldn't suspect a router issue; however if the problem is both wireless and wired then I would look to NetGear for a possible firmware update for the router.
A couple things you can try
Disable the wireless adapter, and with only the wired connection take a look at the DHCP scheme that the laptop is getting from the NetGear router by opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig /all if it's an apipa address like 169.nnn.nnn.nnn, then try a release and renew, again command prompt ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew if this just results in another apipa address or an error something like, unable to connect to a DHCP server, then I would definitely suspect an issue between Windows 7 and the Router. Try disabling IPv6 in the properties of your network adapter. Or even better try assigning static values to the IPv4 addressing scheme of the adapter and see if that moves the process along. If the release and renew returns a righteous ip address, complete with gateway and DNS, then open the Network and sharing Center and run the "Connect to Network" wizard to define your new network. Keep us posted.

Nothihng has seemed to work except for the wireless network for this laptop. Connection could be made running a cable from the back of the router direct to the laptop in question and it works fine. The hub I have between the router and 2 other systems is not allowing connection for some darn reason. But ifit is a windows problem (which I beleive it to be) I must contact MS

If the connection works fine with a cable connection to the router, thereby taking the hub out of the equation, then why would you think that it's a Windows 7 problem.
Are you getting IP address info from the router when connected through the hub?
Have you tried disabling IPv6 on that network adapter just to see if it may be causing some problems.
Not sure what you personal options might be, but I have the same configuration, only instead of a hub I'm using a cheap linksys 5 port switch, I suspect that the hub, and the way it handles network traffic (broadcasts all traffic to all ports) may actually be the issue.

Back