Windows 7 Unknown Operations

pupsdad

I received a message from Windows 7 Ultimate that it was performing operations. I'm not certain of the amount of time it took to complete the "operations" but I'm inclined to believe it was the better part of an hour before my system shut down.
Has anyone seen this? What are the "operations" being performed? I haven't found information relative to this issue.

Not exactly sure about what you are referring to, but if it involved a Windows Update, that needed to shutdown to install, I have seen an anti-virus program slow that down significantly.

Is everything fine upon restart? & can you be more explict as to what happened or youmessages & or screens you had & when this took place?

Another idea. Have you perhaps got your defragger on a schedule? Doesnt normally shut down at the end, but....

Thing is to all our questions... the scenario described or as described isn't ringing any bells :confused:

Reading your OP again.- Was this after you seelcted shutdown? Then, in that case, as Saltgrass intimated, the OS would sometimes, have to complete the installation of any automatic updates. If it is something massive, such as a reinstallation of Net framework together with others, it could in extreme cases take an hour on a slower machine.

But, Dave, et al, is it, indeed, an Update thing he's seeing?? Hard to tell exactly, from what he said.

Can't really say, my friend. But even so, a one hour update is most certainly a "one-off"!

But, Dave, et al, is it, indeed, an Update thing he's seeing?? Hard to tell exactly, from what he said.

My apologies: As far as I know, it didn't appear to be "updating" as no reference was made to an update and my history of updates doesn't indicate an update of any kind was made immediately prior to or subsequent to the "operation". At first I assumed that the "operation" was in connection with a previous update, however, I am disinclined to associate the so-called "operation" with the updating process. One thing I found interesting was back on 2-27-2011, my system was updated with "Service Pack 1" and I'm certain it required only 15 or so minutes to download and install it. Yet this "operation" took the better part of an hour to complete. I wouldn't ordinarily have given it much thought but I just recently installed a larger hard drive and an anonymous activity by Microsoft makes me somewhat suspicious. I'm probably just being a bit paranoid but I resent Microsoft's heavy handed manipulation of software in such a tedious manner.

Reading your OP again.- Was this after you seelcted shutdown? Then, in that case, as Saltgrass intimated, the OS would sometimes, have to complete the installation of any automatic updates. If it is something massive, such as a reinstallation of Net framework together with others, it could in extreme cases take an hour on a slower machine.

Yes. I had selected shutdown

Is everything fine upon restart? & can you be more explict as to what happened or youmessages & or screens you had & when this took place?

Yes. No incident on restart I could see. Normal startup in the usual sense.

As well as I can recall. The normal shutdown splash appeared then the pacifier appeared stating an "operation" was in progress with no explanation as to what the "operation" might be.

Not exactly sure about what you are referring to, but if it involved a Windows Update, that needed to shutdown to install, I have seen an anti-virus program slow that down significantly.

In point of fact; several months ago, I stopped using Norton antivirus. I now use GFI Vipre and I've never seen a shutdown prolonged by Vipre. As far as I am able to understand, this "operation" thing was initiated by "Microsoft" without explanation that I am aware of. Perhaps I should mention if I haven't that I've never seen the term "operation" before now.

I have the same problem so I reinstalled Windows7. The "performing operations" goes from 4 to 14 hours (overnight) and then shuts down. Turning off the computer by force has no ill effects. I am suspecting some sort of defrag kicking in but I have not installed any on the reinstall. I have put windows update on do not download. Could win7 defrag auto start on two fresh machines? This happens about three times in two weeks and then nothing for a month

I have the same problem so I reinstalled [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]Windows7[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]. The "performing operations" goes from 4 to 14 hours (overnight) and then shuts down. Turning off the computer by force has no ill effects. I am suspecting some sort of defrag kicking in but I have not installed any on the [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]reinstall[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]. I have put windows update on do not download. Could win7 defrag auto start on two fresh machines? This happens about three times in two weeks and then nothing for a month

I do not feel this has anything to do w/ Defrag nor that Defrag would do what you asking. Maybe that the install media is 'bad' but, also, I would strongly suggest looking @ hardware issues being the problem.

Cheers,
Drew

I have the same problem so I reinstalled [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]Windows7[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]. The "performing operations" goes from 4 to 14 hours (overnight) and then shuts down. Turning off the computer by force has no ill effects. I am suspecting some sort of defrag kicking in but I have not installed any on the [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]reinstall[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]. I have put windows update on do not download. Could win7 defrag auto start on two fresh machines? This happens about three times in two weeks and then nothing for a month

I tracked it down in other sites to Acronis backup, either on computer or online. I stopped Acronis and this crazy problem stopped. Others said so too.

Back
Top Bottom