Unread posts

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
Sometimes, when I first come on the forums, when I select "Whats New", I find a division in the shown posts, with a separator saying

"the threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts. "

Is there any way, in the profile settings, that I can prevent this? I always, before final leaving, mark all posts as read

Sorry. I think I hit on the reason as soon as I posted, but I could not edit until it had been approved.

I have an automatic function running, which cleans out all my cookies once a week. The message is probably buried in the cookies?
(Ditto having messages approved, perhaps)

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify your question,

This forum currently uses database forum marking and does not rely on cookies for this purpose. This option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. In addition, we allow the thread to be marked as fully read once the visitor has marked all forums as read or actually read the final post in a particular thread. This actually uses significantly more resources than cookie-based marking, but allows for more flexibility and accuracy for this system.

There is always the Activity Feed as well as Live Updates if this seems to be to out-of-date or filled with information.

Back