Windows 8 Unrepairable TCP/IP?

d8ga

At first, some simplified introduction.

I have two laptops, one with Windows 7 and another with Windows 8.1 connected via Ethernet. I gave the first one IP 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.10.2 to the second one. This connection is shown as Unidentified network on both of them.

When I ping 192.168.10.2 from 192.168.10.1, I get Request timed out. The interesting thing is that on 192.168.10.2 in the connection status, the number of received bytes grows about the same amount (usually the same 296 bytes though it differs sometimes) as the number of sent bytes on 192.168.10.1 the moment I ping. And the number of sent bytes on 192.168.10.2 grows on 42 bytes while it's 60 for received on 192.168.10.1.

When I ping 192.168.10.1 from 192.168.10.2, I get General failure. In fact, I always get General failure regardless of what I ping, even 127.0.0.1. And in these cases, the numbers of sent and received bytes do not change.

Possibly worth noticing another thing, I'm not sure. When Default gateway is not defined, pinging address from another subnet like 192.168.1.1 gives "PING: transmit failed. General failure." unlike just "General failure" in the cases above.

ipconfig /all
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : u38dt
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASIX AX88772B USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-EB-E8-0F-2C-BA
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.2(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Resetting TCP/IP & Flush DNS
Hosts file hasn't changed since before the laptop was bought and was working properly, so nothing interesting there.
Code:
D:\>ipconfig /release 

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for 
this operation.

D:\>ipconfig /renew 

Windows IP Configuration

this operation.

D:\>ipconfig /flushdns 

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

D:\>netsh winsock reset all 

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

D:\>netsh int ip reset all 
Resetting Global, OK!
Resetting Interface, OK!
Resetting Unicast Address, OK!
Resetting Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Path, OK!
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.
"Access is denied", as I have found on the Internet, is about registry node HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nsi\{eb004a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc}\26. When I enabled Full Controll permission for this node, I got this:
Code:
D:\>ipconfig /release 

Windows IP Configuration

this operation.

D:\>ipconfig /renew 

Windows IP Configuration

this operation.

D:\>ipconfig /flushdns 

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

D:\>netsh winsock reset all 

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

D:\>netsh int ip reset all 
Resetting Global, OK!
Resetting Interface, OK!
Resetting Unicast Address, OK!
Resetting Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Path, OK!
Resetting Route, OK!
Resetting , OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.
Either case did not solve the problem.

I tried sfc /scannow:
Code:
Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 0% complete.
[...]
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some 
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For 
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not 
supported in offline servicing scenarios.
Log is attached. I couldn't find anything useful out of it but that's me.
I tried dism as well but it did not work out. Either the case is too bad or I am too lame and need assistance. I really hope it's the latter.

The firewall is disabled, the antivirus is uninstalled, safe mode with network is also affected by the problem.

Please, help me figure this thing out.
Thanks everyone of you in advance.

P.S. I have got no backups prior the begining of this problem. And reinstalling Windows is the last thing I will do.

Attachments

• CBS.log.txt
    799.9 KB · Views: 745
Does "ping 127.0.0.1" fail on both machines? This would normally indicate hardware failure/fault and I'd be surprised if it was happening on both. Are both machines using usb ethernet adapters?

Does "ping 127.0.0.1" fail on both machines? This would normally indicate hardware failure/fault and I'd be surprised if it was happening on both.
I am sorry, I forgot to mention this important stuff.
Pinging 127.0.0.1 fails on the one with Windows 8.1. And the idea of hardware failure was rejected when I booted Xubuntu LiveUSB and the network worked properly. And the facts below say against that too.
Are both machines using usb ethernet adapters?
No, only the failing one. But, in fact, exactly the same happens with internal and external USB Wi-Fi adapters.

And have you tried it with just a straight cable.
Many of the newer ethernet interfaces are "Auto MDI-x" which eliminates the need for a crossover cable.
AND
make sure that the speed and duplex rate on both cards are set identically or better.... set to auto

And have you tried it with just a straight cable.
Many of the newer ethernet interfaces are "Auto MDI-x" which eliminates the need for a crossover cable.
AND
make sure that the speed and duplex rate on both cards are set identically or better.... set to auto
Yes, I have.
And they are.

Do I understand correctly?
When the two machines are not connected in any manner.....
Only the Windows 8.1 machine exhibits the symptoms you are describing?

Do I understand correctly?
When the two machines are not connected in any manner.....
Only the Windows 8.1 machine exhibits the symptoms you are describing?
Yes, indeed. And this Windows 8.1 instance worked perfectly on this machine until this problem started which I can't really associate with any event except connecting to a public Wi-Fi in a library.

It seems to me that you've done everything I can think of.
You've rebuilt the IP Stack
You've rebuilt the Winsock Catalog
You say that you've already tried
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
to repair your Windows Image and "that didn't work out"
And I assume you have your network adapter(s) set to obtain it's addressing schema automatically at both machines as connecting machines directly like you are doing is about the only place that APIPA actually shines.
So about the only thing left to do that comes to mind short of a complete reset / reinstall of Windows 8.1 is....
An inplace upgrade / repair which works exactly the same as it has since Vista. If the machine boots, just insert your Windows 8.1 installation media and run setup from there and choose Upgrade.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099
The downside is, it takes about as long as a custom clean install.
The upside is, it is generally non-destructive so you shouldn't have to reinstall all your programs, drivers, etc., etc., again. You will have to catch up your windows updates again though and I would still backup any and all critical data before hand just in case things go south. Hope for the best..... plan for the worse.

An inplace upgrade / repair which works exactly the same as it has since Vista. If the machine boots, just insert your Windows 8.1 installation media and run setup from there and choose Upgrade.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099
The downside is, it takes about as long as a custom clean install.
The upside is, it is generally non-destructive so you shouldn't have to reinstall all your programs, drivers, etc., etc., again. You will have to catch up your windows updates again though and I would still backup any and all critical data before hand just in case things go south. Hope for the best..... plan for the worse.
This is totally fine with me as long it leaves my programs and files in place. The problem is I have OEM version and I couldn't find that anyone was able to get ISO from Microsoft with an OEM key. Whatever, I downloaded a Windows 8.1 Single Language OEM ISO from torrents in hope I will be able to activate it with my key later. But when I am running it, there is no option Upgrade or Inplace (only something like "Only save personal files" and "Save nothing") as stated in the article (which is for "Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2"). Are you sure there is such a feature in Windows 8?
The absence of working network on my machine has already wasted lots and lots of time including study and working time.

Sorry, I assumed you had the install media in hand
Are you sure there is such a feature in Windows 8?
Yes, I've actually done one myself and it worked exactly the same as it has in all previous versions of Windows since Vista. The only caveat being that you have to have the install media and it has to be the exact same version (or later / newer) as the one on your machine and of course match your associated product key that you'll need to use.
As much as I hate referencing links to other forums there is a thread here http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html with a more or less step by step including do(s) and don't(s) etc.

Trouble, thank you for your assistance. :)

Sorry, I assumed you had the install media in hand

Yes, I've actually done one myself and it worked exactly the same as it has in all previous versions of Windows since Vista. The only caveat being that you have to have the install media and it has to be the exact same version (or later / newer) as the one on your machine and of course match your associated product key that you'll need to use.
As much as I hate referencing links to other forums there is a thread here http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html with a more or less step by step including do(s) and don't(s) etc.
Yes, I am reading this thread right now. I hope, there is something there worth reading 15 pages. And it seems that the thing is that my original Windows version is preinstalled Windows 8 Single Language and I don't have the option Keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps in the option list, only the last two. Or maybe the versions don't match. What happens when they do not match?

If you have your windows 8.1 product key then you may be able to use this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
To build your ISO which you can then burn to a DVD. I believe that a some point you'll be given the opportunity to choose "install later by creating media" or words to that affect.
I was there today but entering my key gave the message that this can only work with a retail version key. What a shame.

So it came with Windows 8 pre-installed and then you upgraded to Windows 8.1.
I think that means that you only have a Windows 8 key and it's OEM, so even if the computer manufacturer had recovery media that you could purchase it would likely be "Windows 8" and not "Windows 8.1"
So bottom line is, that you will not likely be able to do an inplace upgrade / repair even if you managed to get your hands on a Windows 8.1 ISO given that you only have a Windows 8 product key.
I'm running out of ideas that you can use that don't entail you spending money on Windows 8.1 media and product key.
AND
I actually hesitate to even suggest that, as I am not 100% certain that an inplace, upgrade / repair will resolve your given issue.
I know you said at the outset that re-installing Windows was the last thing you wanted to do, but..... It may very well be your only free option.
I assume you've considered already the native "Refresh" option? I think that hoses your store apps but leaves pretty much everything else alone. Not sure that will fix the problem either.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

So it came with Windows 8 pre-installed and then you upgraded to Windows 8.1.
I think that means that you only have a Windows 8 key and it's OEM, so even if the computer manufacturer had recovery media that you could purchase it would likely be "Windows 8" and not "Windows 8.1"
So bottom line is, that you will not likely be able to do an inplace upgrade / repair even if you managed to get your hands on a Windows 8.1 ISO given that you only have a Windows 8 product key.
I'm running out of ideas that you can use that don't entail you spending money on Windows 8.1 media and product key.
AND
I actually hesitate to even suggest that, as I am not 100% certain that an inplace, upgrade / repair will resolve your given issue.
I know you said at the outset that re-installing Windows was the last thing you wanted to do, but..... It may very well be your only free option.
I assume you've considered already the native "Refresh" option? I think that hoses your store apps but leaves pretty much everything else alone. Not sure that will fix the problem either.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
Oh, thank you so much for this highly detailed answer! Though, and it won't sound good, I really hope I will not need this. Good news is I just found an ISO that gives me this option, the Windows 8.1 Single Language of the same language I use right now not the one it was installed with. So I am trying to repair Windows keeping settings, files, and apps and after it's done I will write back about the results.

Upd:
The key, probably, won't match but at least it will be a step further in any case whether the networking get fixed or not. We'll see.

Good luck hope all goes well.....
And yes please keep us posted. Hope you have a nice new system image safe on an external drive somewhere before you proceed.

Thank you. But it seems luck abandoned me for good. Though it's not that bad as it used to be.
Did the inplace repair a couple times and got pretty strange behavior. After the first start, right after the installation process is finished, network works great and does so until restart (most likely, shutdown and turning on gives the same result) but is not affected by sleep or hibernation. When the system restarts, network again has exactly the same problems it had before repair, which are described above. I made a restoration point after the repair is done and network works then restarted the system, got the problem, restored this point, problem remained. This is such a headache.

Perhaps, as a last ditch effort, would you consider trying a clean boot of the Windows 8.1 system just to double check and confirm that it is not some third party service or application that is doing this to your system?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
First of all, I am sorry for being out of here for so long. I didn't have the time for running the repair install again so I did not risk rebooting the laptop. When the time came, I did and tried a clean boot. The problem was still in place. Do I have any options left besides total reinstalling Windows?

Back
Top Bottom