Windows 10 UnShared Folders

BrutalMoose

Hello there everyone. I would like to have 2 Microsoft Account based users on my Windows 10 PC. 1 Administrator, and 1 Standard user. I do not want the Standard user to see any of the Admin user's folders, their desktop, photos, and anything. I want them to each use the same applications. What is the best way to set this up? All of the people using this PC will be adults, so I am not seeking a child filter or family filter settings. Thanks for your help everyone!

No changes would be required. Only a user has access to their user folder (for standard users). Administrators can access any folder if they need to.

I must have accidentally given the standard user permission to see the administrator's user folder. How do I reverse that without causing any problems. I have seen you on this site many times, you are a helpful and nice person. Why the dark portrait?

Last edited:
I must have accidentally given the standard user permission to see the administrator's user folder. How do I reverse that without causing any problems. I have seen you on this site many times, you are a helpful and nice person. Why the dark portrait?
If you sign in as Administrator, open file explorer go to: c:\Users
Right click on the Administrators profilefolder, select: Properties
And Security... via Edit, you simply REMOVE the user... (If asked: Opt to remove from all subfolders..)

I logged in as Admin, went to C: drive > Users > <Admin name> > and followed your instructions.

"An error occured while apply security information to C:\users\...\appdata\local\application data.
Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

It gave me this error a huge number of times. When I tried to cancel, it told me canceling can cause inconsistant results. What went wrong?

I logged in as Admin, went to C: drive > Users > <Admin name> > and followed your instructions.

"An error occured while apply security information to C:\users\...\appdata\local\application data.
Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

It gave me this error a huge number of times. When I tried to cancel, it told me canceling can cause inconsistant results. What went wrong?
Nothing went wrong! That is expected...

As an example your admin username is MyAdmin and the account your trying to remove is MyStandardUser.
[Opening an elevated command prompt]
  • Click the Start button
  • Type cmd
  • Right click 'Command Prompt' and select 'run as administrator'
You can open an elevated command and run the following.
icacls C:\Users\MyAdmin /t /c /q /remove:g MyStandardUser

Back
Top Bottom