Windows 7 updates on this computer are controlled by system admin

jackfiltraition

Hey guys!
I'm new to this forum, this is my first post but I'm in desperate need of some help!

I need to update my windows but when i click "check for updates" in windows updates, I get a message that reads...

"Windows update can not currently check for updates because updates on this computer ae controlled by your system administrator"

I've tried enabling non admin access in both

Computer Configuration\Adminstrative Templates\Windows Componets\Windows Update

and
User Configuration\Adminstrative Templates\Windows Componets\Windows Update

But no luck as of yet.

I am running Windows 7 pro. Service Pack 1. 64 bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys!

Have you tried to right click the Windows Update and choose Run As Administrator. This gives the highest level of permissions. I assume you are trying to check for updates from an administrator account.

Maybe if you would explain why you are using the gpedit.msc panel to make these changes. Just looking for a level of experience, not making comments about the process.

But in that panel, I do not see an allow non-admins to do updates, just to receive update notifications. I do see one in the User section that denies use of Updates. But all of mine show "Not Configured" anyway.

Do you have the Real Administrative account enabled?

When you check the Windows Update-Change Settings dialog as a Administrative user, is the box checked for allowing all users?

Is there anything else about your setup that might be involved, like is it part of a domain?

Maybe one of your services isn't running. Have you tried the troubleshooter in the Control Panel-Troubleshooting-System and Security?

Maybe if you would explain why you are using the gpedit.msc panel to make these changes. Just looking for a level of experience, not making comments about the process.

But in that panel, I do not see an allow non-admins to do updates, just to receive update notifications. I do see one in the User section that denies use of Updates. But all of mine show "Not Configured" anyway.

Do you have the Real Administrative account enabled?

When you check the Windows Update-Change Settings dialog as a Administrative user, is the box checked for allowing all users?

Is there anything else about your setup that might be involved, like is it part of a domain?

Maybe one of your services isn't running. Have you tried the troubleshooter in the Control Panel-Troubleshooting-System and Security?

First of all, thank you for your reply and help. Really appriciated :)

Regarding the gpedit.msc question, I was hunting down a solution over google and came across a number of different people suggesting this (most common "solution" i came across) on forums etc. but it was quite misleading because as you said, there does not appear to be anything about letting non admins RUN windwos update, rather just have access to update notifications.

Anyways, to be thorough i googled the phrase "Real Administrative account windows 7" and found out how to acces the Hidden admin account and sure enough i was able to run updates no problem once logged in under this account.

Thanks very much for the help!

Cheers

You still have a problem you need to sort out. Something is keeping your system from operating normally.

Back