Windows 7 Updates Problem

Heaven or Hell

So like wow, just an hour ago, I was reading a review someone wrote on Amazon, then the Windows Updates icon/logo shows up on the taskbar. Ok, so I need to update soon.

By the way, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Maybe 1, 2 or a few minutes later, the laptop AUTOMATICALLY restarts (wtf? I thought they took this retarded feature out of 7 and only had it on VISTA...) to install updates. Ok, my browser tabs force shut down, as well as a document or two (that I did not need to save changes to) no problem. Anyway when it restarts...it says it failed all, or a major part of the updates (14 of them) and when I click retry to download them, the same 14 updates fail once again.

Now my question is...can it be that the force-shutdown had anything to do with this? I mean, I was merely browsing a webpage (not clicking anything) when the force-shutdown happened.

-Edit- Well what do you know, they were all Microsoft Office updates. Why am I not surprised.

Last edited:
Set your updates to Never check for updates (not recommended). Manually check yourself , say weekly. Always check on or after the second Tuesday of the month (Patch or Black Tuesday).
Install updates in batches, pick a number, say 3 or 4.
Critical updates first.
Optional updates, errr, optional.
Driver updates, never. Get those from the proper sources (PC or manufacturers).

Be aware that some people are having issues with update kb2454826 that was in this weeks releases.

HTH.

Last edited:
I do not remember Win 7 ever forcing a shutdown without asking first.

Maybe one of the updates was a device update that messed with your system, or perhaps the one Elmer refers to.

Attachments

• update.GIF
    update.GIF
    22.3 KB · Views: 473
Back
Top Bottom