I don't install Windows Defender. I uncheck the box when it wants to install it. Windows Update keeps wanting to install Winodws Defender. How do I stop Windows from notifying me to install updates I don't want?
It has been a long time since I have had any experience with Windows Defender, but I believe it is installed by Default in Windows 7. The big brother of that is Microsoft Security Essentials and if you install it, the Defender updates should quit.
Do you have another anti-virus type program you are running and if so, does it have an option to turn off prior versions?
I uninstalled Windows Defender after it was installed with other updates. I do not want to even see an update reminder stating that Windows Defender is waiting to be installed.
How do I make it so I stop seeing updates I have already told Windows I don't want?
In other words...
In the bottom right hand corner of my laptop I keep seeing "New Updates Are Available." The new update is Windows Defender which I do not want to install.
I have Windows Defender installed. I do not use it as I have another anti-virus I use. What I noticed was once another anti-virus was being used the updates stopped coming. If you have been using another anti-virus program, it should have turned off Windows Defender. If not you can do that manually.
I don't install Windows Defender. I uncheck the box when it wants to install it. Windows Update keeps wanting to install Windows Defender. How do I stop Windows from notifying me to install updates I don't want?
A few points I would like to clarify.......
1.Windows Defender is a default application. It comes with the Windows 7 operating system, whether you want it or not.
2. As such, it cannot be uninstalled. The best you can do is to disabled it. Do you know how to disable it?
(adding) How to disable Windows Defender:
Start button > in the search box, type services.msc > Enter > scroll down to Windows Defender > click it >left side, click at Stop the service. When that is done, look under Startup Type column, it should say Manual. If so, you are done. Windows Defender is disabled.
3. You said " I uncheck the box when it wants to install it." What you did was declining the update which Windows Update wanted to install, not the Windows Defender itself because it is already included in the OS.
4. Unchecking the updates will not stop them from reappearing next time. You need to "hide" them.
Here is the tutorial on how to "hide" the updates you do not want to install. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html
Once the updates are hidden, they won't be offered to you again.
If you disable Windows Defender, you have to have some kind of security app to replace it.
What do you have to replace it ?
Some security systems will automatically disable Windows Defender, such as....
Microsoft Security Essentials.
I would simply turn it off (Disable) in the services area.
1. Right-click on Computer icon on desktop and select Manage, it'll open a new window. Now go toServices & Applications -> Services. You can also open the same from Administrative Tools ->Computer Management. Or you can directly open "Services" list by providing services.msc command in RUN or Start Menu search box.
2. Now you can set the unnecessary services to DISABLED or MANUAL. Just double-click on any service and select the desired option in Startup type list box.