Upgrade from Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit using same disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by nitewulf, May 31, 2010.

1. nitewulf

nitewulf
    Expand Collapse
    Honorable Member

I know you can upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit using a custom install. My question though, is I installed Windows 7 32 bit using a retail upgrade disk. I've now decided I want to try 64 bit. Since the upgrade box contained 2 discs (32 & 64 bit), am I free to install the 64 bit on the same computer or would I have to buy a whole new upgrade disc set? It seems like it would let me install the 64 bit which would have it's own key, but I want to make sure.

2. JessicaD

JessicaD
    Expand Collapse

You cannot "upgrade" a 32-bit OS to 64-bit -- a custom install is a clean install for all practical purposes. You can use the same product key regardless of which version is selected and used for install.

3. nitewulf

nitewulf
    Expand Collapse
    Honorable Member

Jessica,
    I realize that going from 32 to 64 is considered a clean install. I guess my question was that even though I've used a 32 bit disk and key to install Windows 7, I can now use the other 64 bit disc and key to perform a full, custom install of 64 bit over the 32 bit version.
    If the key is indeed the same for both versions, will I have to convince Microsoft that I made a mistake and really wanted 64 bit or will it just install and activate?

4. JessicaD

JessicaD
    Expand Collapse

You shouldn't have a problem -- just install and activate. If you do have a problem (which, again, I highly doubt) just post back and we can help you from there.