Windows 7 Upgrade From Windows 7 RC

gbalonek

I have Windows 7 RC installed on my PC. Previously, I had a Full Ultimate Version of VISTA. When Windows 7 comes out in October, can I use a Upgrade Version (Windows 7 Professional) to install or do I need to purchase a full version of Windows 7? Do I need to do a clean install?

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

Yes, you certainly can use the Upgrade media to perform a clean install.. ;) Please refer to this thread for the guide on how to perform a clean install using the Upgrade Media.. :) This is why you should never pay full price for an OS.. :)

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/8123-info-regarding-upgrade-media.html

And yes, you will have to do a clean install.. Unfortunately you can't just "upgrade" from the RC or the RTM to the Final version...

Gbalonek,
You will not be able to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional from Windows 7 RC however you should be able to upgrade from Windows Vista Ultimate FULL retail to Windows 7 Professional.
For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: Windows: Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer
Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

Yes, you certainly can use the Upgrade media to perform a clean install.. ;) Please refer to this thread for the guide on how to perform a clean install using the Upgrade Media.. :) This is why you should never pay full price for an OS.. :)

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/8123-info-regarding-upgrade-media.html

And yes, you will have to do a clean install.. Unfortunately you can't just \"upgrade\" from the RC or the RTM to the Final version...

I have just a simple follow up question to this... I know that you can do a clean install using upgrade media, although it requires a previous version of Windows to be installed. I've also heard that if you don't have Windows installed, during the installation using an upgrade disk it asks you to insert another Windows disk to prove that you have it. But that's not what I'm asking...

On my main computer, I am now using Windows 7 RC exclusively. I do not have a copy of Windows XP or Vista available. My question is... when Windows 7 releases, can I use the upgrade disk to do a clean install over a machine only running Win7 RC?

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this. I actually have two questions. First, it appears that you need a DVD reader to install the Windows 7 RC. Is there any other way to install? Secondly, does anyone know whether Microsoft plans to ship the Windows 7 RTM on CD (or, will it be shipped on DVD only)?

Thanks

bver,

Can also be done from a USB Flash Drive.

RTM will not be shipped @ all in any form. RTM is not publically available.

Regards,
Drew
MS Partner
Pres. CI

Thank you. I guess I used incorrect terminology. I actually was referring to the Windows 7 Upgrade pre-order that I've seen advertised by various retailers. Does anyone know if this upgrade will ship on CD-ROM?

Ok, we have a mixed up thread here so I am going to try to answer 2 ppl & 2 questions @ once...

1st:

Crunkleton,

No. You cannot upgrade from RC to Win7 Pro.

Regards,
Drew
MS Partner
Pres. CI

Hmm, this is kind of a huge bummer for me... so I just want to clarify because, well, that's just how I am. Are you saying that I can't use a retail upgrade disk to go from RC to full version, even if I do a clean install?

I realize there is no direct upgrade from RC to Pro, but if I do a clean install using an upgrade disk, will I be able to? Or will I be required to use a full-version disk?

I'm only asking because I've heard conflicting stories and you, as an "MS Partner" may be the best equipped to give me a straight answer.

Thanks again. To be sure we're not confusing my question with the current Windows 7 Release Candidate, let me restate. "Will Microsoft offer Windows 7 Upgrade install (due to be available in late October 2009) on CD-ROM disks?"

Thanks.

Thanks again. To be sure we're not confusing my question with the current Windows 7 Release Candidate, let me restate. "Will Microsoft offer Windows 7 Upgrade install (due to be available in late October 2009) on CD-ROM disks?"

Thanks.

From what I understand, it will not be available on CD-ROM. To accommodate the growing number of netbook users, MS is also going to offer Win7 on USB Flash Drive. So no worries; if you do not have a DVD reader, you can always get the USB Flash version.

Yes, 'busydog', but, one still has to have (own) a valid Vista or XP to refer back to, so to speak, to do a 'clean' w/ an Upgrade.

He only has/had RC.

So, yes, crunkleton, you have understood correctly.

Drew

Using the upgrade trick in the link provided though it doesn't seem that any operating system is necessary to do a clean install from upgrade media... assuming you follow the steps outlined.

Back